[ISN] Breach at Macquarie Uni, hackers claim 1 million plain text passwords exposed

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 04:50:18 -0600 (CST)
http://www.zdnet.com/au/breach-at-macquarie-uni-hackers-claim-1-million-plain-text-passwords-exposed-7000008199/

By Michael Lee
ZDNet Australia
December 3, 2012

Macquarie University has had one of its sites breached and defaced over
the weekend in an apparent show to demonstrate that its servers'
security are not being maintained to a sufficient standard.

On Friday, one of Macquarie University's web applications, designed to
assist international students in applying to study, was breached and
defaced by two hackers going by the names of "JuliaDaRanga1000" and
"AbbotttheFaggot2000." The defacement makes a number of disparaging
remarks about the university's security, mocking what they call a
complete lack of security.

"Macquarie University, let me ask you this, who the f*** do you hire for
security? Oh, wait, there is none," the two hackers wrote on the site.

"When your administration panel is accessible publicly, what do you
think will happen? Once again, as I said, anyone could have done it. It
just took some investigating. Don't dub me as an elite hacker, because I
simply am not.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org