Re: [IWAR] RETHINKING DEFENSE - Revision to 2 MRC Doctrine

From: Mark Hedges (hedgesat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 00:33:14 PST

    Young in some ways, old in others. The army in whatever time period is
    configured as best able to wreak havoc upon the enemy, though the purpose
    for which it's used varies. The enemy in this timeperiod seems to be the
    whole world. I dreamt a vivid dream. I lived on the hill above downtown
    San Diego (do they do weather control here?), the airport, the port, and
    Coronado. In the dream, I sat down to eat dinner. There was a bright flash
    from above the little indentation that is the bay. I looked up. Then I was
    very hot, and then the I woke. Why build an army which can only destroy
    one world? Why not, the whole shebang, and thus all this talk about the
    "space empire"? Escalation EATS ROCKS compared to a little peace and
    quiet. So, diplomacy, especially personal and interpersonal diplomacy,
    seems better a focus for all of the whole memetics/psyops/spin control
    that MWILSON talks about.

    For all y'all pilgrims out there, "Snow Crash"  by Neal Stephenson (dare I
    say the name for copyright infringement?) is a great book about the age of
    personal nukes and lifeboat-board depleted uranium repeating hypersonic
    rail guns -- set about 15 -- 30 years from now, I'd just guess. In the end
    the book rocked and the balanced thing happened and anyway most of the
    killing was hacking and it only harmed your financial standing if you
    lost. Well, Hiro Protagonist got paid. It has already in real life,
    because otherwise, we wouldn't be here. So, we can go on making real life
    better for everyone since the Star Trek matter synthesizer was a cool
    idea, even though it would put production of small items out of work.

    Then could we make planet-sized ships with wings like butterflies and an
    orbital ring and all that? It would be fun to survive to find out. It
    would be nice if people stopped killing each other, everywhere; perhaps
    the most unlikely end of a game theory.

    Mark Hedges