[IWAR] FC: CIA changes Web FAQ: concedes spying on Americans (fwd)

From: Mark Hedges (hedgesat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 13:04:49 PST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:49:28 -0800 (PST)
    From: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    To: politechat_private
    Subject: FC: CIA changes Web FAQ: concedes spying on Americans

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:42:26 -0800 (PST)
    From: Dan Tsang <dtsangat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>

    Last month, the CIA had to change its Web FAQ page because of my case,
    Tsang v. CIA, which was settled when the CIA promised not to spy on me
    again.  But it refused to make the same promise to cover other Americans.
    The original FAQ page had said "No" to a question whether or not it spies
    on Americans.  Now it concedes it spies on Americans.  The new CIA FAQ is
    at:  http://www.odci.gov/cia/public_affairs/faq.html

    See my account in Sunday's (Jan. 18) Los Angeles Times Opinion page:
    A CIA Target at Home in America.  It can be found at:

    http://www.latimes.com/sbin/my_iarecord.pl?NS-doc-path=/httpd/docs/HOME/NEWS/
    OPINION/t000005584.html&NS-doc-offset=1&NS-collection=DailyNews&NS-search-set=/
    var/tmp/34c3e/aaaa001wBc3eacf&

    Daniel C. Tsang
    Bibliographer for Asian American Studies
     & Social Sciences (Economics, Politics)
    Machine-Readable Data Files Librarian
    Lecturer, School of Social Sciences
    380 Main Library
    University of California
    PO Box 19557
    Irvine CA 92623-9557
    USA

    dtsangat_private
    (714) 824-4978
    (714) 824-5740 fax
    homepage: http://sun3.lib.uci.edu/~dtsang
       add suffix for news: /netnews1.htm
                      politics: /pol.htm
                      economics: /econ.htm
                      asian american studies: /aas.htm
                      soc sci data archives: /ssda.htm
                      public opinion: /pod.htm
                      AWARE: awarefs/htm
    host, "Subversity" on KUCI, 88.9 FM in Orange County
      each Tuesday from 5-6 p.m.; selected shows w/ audio online:
      http://www.kuci.uci.edu/~dtsang/subversity
    N.B.: This is NOT official University of California correspondence.