[IWAR] CRIME financial instrument fraud

From: 7Pillars Partners (partnersat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 12:32:13 PST

       Source: http://www.senate.gov/~banking/97_09hrg/091697/witness/brown.htm

    Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee

      Subcommittee on Financial Services and Technology

      Hearing on Financial Instruments Fraud

                         Prepared Testimony of Mr. Dana Brown
                            Deputy Special Agent-in-Charge
                              Financial Crimes Division
                             United States Secret Service

                       10:00 a.m., Tuesday, September 16, 1997

       Mr. Chairman, Members of the Subcommittee, thank you for the opportunity
       to address this Subcommittee concerning the subject of recent trends in
       the area of financial crimes and the Secret Service's efforts to combat
       these crimes.

       My name is Dana Brown, and I am representing the United States Secret
       Service in my capacity as the Deputy Special Agent in Charge of the
       Financial Crimes Division of the Secret Service.

       Since its inception in 1865 the Secret Service has been involved in the
       investigation of counterfeit monetary instruments which affect the
       integrity and well being of this nation's monetary and economic systems.
       As a law enforcement bureau within the department of the treasury, the
       secret service has undergone an expansion of its investigative authority
       commensurate with the evolution of payment systems from cash to plastic
       and electronic media.

       To combat problems relating to evolving global payment systems, the
       Secret Service has jurisdiction in the areas of credit card and other
       access device fraud, fraudulent identification, and financial fraud in
       relation to computer access. The recent trends in criminal activity have
       taught us that these crimes are often committed simultaneously and in
       conjunction with other fraud related activity as well as more violent
       crimes. We in the Secret Service have developed a visual aid entitled
       "the circle" (which is attached to this testimony) which we use to
       illustrate the correlation between some criminal activities and the
       global economy.

       It would be difficult to fully explain our complete investigative
       mission in the area of financial crimes with the time allotted. Instead,
       we have chosen to concentrate on four areas of particular interest to
       the committee. These areas are fictitious negotiable instruments, desk
       top publishing, identity fraud through use of the internet, and advance
       fee fraud, often referred to as 4-1-9 fraud. I would first like to
       discuss fictitious negotiable instruments.

    [follow link for rest of testimony; also at http://www.jya.com/brown.htm]