Re: [IWAR] OPEN SOURCE articles of interest

From: Betty G.O'Hearn (bettyat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 16:44:57 PST

    Michael

    Would like to post this giving you credit or forward.

    Betty

    At 04:06 PM 1/29/98 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
    >
    >FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS LAW JOURNAL
    >Published by the INDIANA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW - BLOOMINGTON and the
    >FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS BAR ASSOCIATION
    >VOLUME 50 December 1997 NUMBER 1
    >
    >International Jurisdiction in Cyberspace: Which States May Regulate the
    >Internet?
    >By Stephan Wilske & Teresa Schiller
    >
    >The Internet now reaches 60 million users in 160 countries, with the number
    >increasing each year. Although
    >cyberspace has been viewed as a self-regulating entity controlled by no
    >government, this myth is being destroyed as the
    >global Internet community expands. With this expansion comes a question: Who
    >has the authority to regulate
    >cyberspace? Given that decisions about the Internet reach far beyond national
    >borders, the answer to this question is
    >unknown, but certainly has broad implications. Traditional laws of
    >international jurisdiction, including jurisdiction to
    >prescribe, jurisdiction to adjudicate, and jurisdiction to enforce, offer
    some
    >clear answers. However, further
    >development of these laws will be required in order to solve inevitable
    >conflicts. For the time being, Internet users
    >should be aware that the consequence for a few keystrokes is uncertain and
    >possibly severe.
    >http://www.law.indiana.edu/fclj/pubs/v50/no1/wilske.html
    >
    >articles since 1993: http://www.law.indiana.edu/fclj/pubs/pubs.html
    >---
    >
    >Rutgers Law Journal, Rutgers School of Law, Volume 29, Issue 1
    >ELECTRONIC MASS MEDIA INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND SECTION 552 OF THE
    >RESTATEMENT (SECOND) OF TORTS:  THE FIRST AMENDMENT CASTS A LONG SHADOW
    >Joel Rothstein Wolfson
    >http://www-camlaw.rutgers.edu/publications/lawjournal/wolfsonhtm.htm
    >
    >WHAT'S FAIR IS (NOT ALWAYS) FAIR ON THE INTERNET
    >Vincent J. Roccia
    >http://www-camlaw.rutgers.edu/publications/lawjournal/rocciahtm.htm
    >---
    >
    >MIT's Technology Review, JANUARY/FEBRUARY 1998
    >PUTTING TEETH IN THE BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS BAN
    >Biological weapons are cheap to make and easy to hide -- an
    >international security problem that extends well beyond Iraq. But
    >enforcement of the existing treaty would require intrusive measures that
    >might compromise legitimate biotech and pharmaceutical R&D.
    >http://web.mit.edu/techreview/www/articles/jf98/tucker.html
    >---
    >
    >Mad Cow Special Report: It's landed Oprah in court...
    >Fear of mad cow disease spread panic across
    >Europe, and devastated Britain's beef industry.
    >What are the real dangers? Read the evidence,
    >reported by Planet Science and New Scientist
    >magazine, and make up your own mind.
    >http://madcow.newscientist.com/
    >---
    >
    >JAMA
    >Medical News & Perspectives - January 28, 1998
    >Opposition to Law Officers Having Unfettered Access to Medical Records
    htm
    >Military Stays in Bosnia; Vaccinates for Anthrax
    >http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/journals/most/recent/issues/jama/jmn71178.
    htm
    >Letters - January 28, 1998
    >Physicians and Biological Warfare Agents
    >http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/journals/most/recent/issues/jama/letter_2.
    htm
    >Propaganda Value of Allegations of Biological Warfare in the Korean War
    >http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/journals/most/recent/issues/jama/letter_3.
    htm
    >Biological Warfare and the 'Hiroshima' Issue of JAMA
    >http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/journals/most/recent/issues/jama/letter_4.
    htm
    >JAMA Biological Warfare Issue--JAMA Table of Contents - August 6, 1997
    >http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/journals/archive/jama/vol_278/no_5/toc.htm
    #top
    >---
    >
    >Issues in Science and Technology, Winter 1998
    >Future Prespectives on Nuclear Issues by PETE V. DOMENICI
    >Finally--A Real Defense Debate by ANDREW F. KREPINEVICH, JR
    >Biological Insvasions: A Growing Threat by DON C. SCHMITZ and DANIEL
    SIMBERLOFF
    >all articles indexed off http://www.utdallas.edu/research/issues/
    >---
    >
    >The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
    >NATO enlargement, yes or no?
    >In July, NATO members voted to invite Poland, Hungary, and the
    >Czech Republic to join their military alliance, all the time insisting that
    >eastward expansion has nothing to do with kicking an
    >already-weakened Russia while it's down.
    >But is expanding NATO such a good idea?
    >"Mlad" and "Star"
    >In January 1944 Ted Hall was an 18-year-old whiz kid who had already
    >been to Harvard and was now part of the Manhattan Project, working on the
    >implosion problem at Los Alamos. When he went home to visit his parents in
    New
    >York, he also went looking for a Russian contact who might be interested
    in the
    >secrets he had to tell.
    >http://www.bullatomsci.org/
    >---
    >
    >The Heritage Foundation
    >Postponing the Day of Reckoning: Independent Panel Fails to Give
    >Congress a Defense Policy Road Map
    >Baker Spring,Senior Defense Policy Analyst
    >James H. Anderson, Defense Policy Analyst
    >http://www.heritage.org/heritage/library/categories/natsec/bg1151.html
    >---
    >
    >Harvard Political Review
    >ARMED AND DANGEROUS The East Asian Security Dilemma
    >By John D. Couriel
    >KOREA STRIKES BACK Democratic Progress and South Korea's Labor Law
    >By Bom S. Kim
    >TRADE OR TORTURE How Should We Deal with China's Human Rights Record?
    >By Daniel Loss
    >TRANSFORMING YOUR NATION Just Do It!
    >By Matthew Stoller
    >A DRUG-INDUCED HIGH The Price of Burma's Development
    >By John Paul Rollert
    >all articles off of http://hcs.harvard.edu/~hpr/articles/covers.html
    >---
    >
    >Foreign Policy
    >OPEC: An Obituary
    >by Fadhil J. Chalabi
    >Not long ago, OPEC shook financial markets worldwide. Now, not even
    >its members take their organization seriously.
    >Biological Weapons: A Plague Upon All Houses
    >by John D. Steinbruner
    >Biological weapons are alive, they adapt, and they can potentially
    >threaten the entire world population. Why deterrence is not enough
    >and how prevention may prove to be the best, and only, cure.
    >The Arms Trade: Business As Usual?
    >by William W. Keller & Janne E. Nolan
    >During the Cold War, conventional weapons were exported to safeguard
    >national security. Nowadays, they're exported to safeguard jobs.
    >all articles off http://www.foreignpolicy.com/foreignpolicy/index.htm
    >---
    >
    >Harvard Business Review
    >What is Strategy?
    >Michael E. Porter
    >http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu/groups/hbr/att/
    >---
    >
    >[end]

    Betty O'Hearn
    Assistant to Mr. Winn Schwartau
    813-360-6256 Voice
    813-363-7277 FAX
    http://www.infowar.com
    http://www.info-sec.com

    Everybody gets so much information all day long that they
    lose their common sense.
             - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).