[IWAR] ECO Thoughts on Birth Control and Population

From: Mark Hedges (hedgesat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 07:21:13 PST

    I post this here because a) I think it's funny and b) overpopulation
    is a problem which information warfare can solve, through social
    engineering, advertisement (i.e. propaganda), and widespread, open
    access to information.

    Thoughts on Birth Control and Population:
      Is there an alternative to mass destruction?

    (An informal and entirely hypothetical Discussion between various
    Philosophical Figureheads and Great Thinkers)

    by Mark Hedges
    Written originally for an Ethics and Society class at UCSD under
    the direction of Patricia Smith Churchland in 1994

    "What a beautiful day!" I said to myself, wheeling my bike out of
    the garage. "Perfect day for a ride!" A few little fluffy clouds
    crossed the deep blue of the sky -- it reminded me of Arizona, for
    some reason. They had an almost blue tint to them, they looked like
    great clouds of smoke coming out of some massive Pipe just over the
    horizon. I rode my bike down to Henry Cowell park and took off
    through the redwoods on a roughly-hewn trail. Birds were chirping,
    a few deer were out -- one could hardly tell that cities or people
    even existed in the world at all. The trail led down to Powder Mill
    Creek, where I stopped and began to unpack my small lunch. As I was
    unpeeling my banana, I heard some voices raised in discussion
    around a bend in the creek. Not used to finding this many people so
    deep in the woods, I took my banana and investigated.

    Turning aside a large bunch of fern fronds, I came upon a most
    peculiar assortment of six people sitting on logs or standing.
    There were two men in tailored suits, one man in jeans and a
    flannel shirt, a woman in similar attire, the Pope, and a kind-
    looking man with a wonderfully disturbing smile and a huge Ward
    Cleaverish tobacco pipe hooked in his ever-present grin. He nodded
    at me and motioned me to be silent a moment. I obliged.

    Pope John Paul II was softly saying to the woman, "I am simply
    trying to convince you that the conception of life is a beautiful
    and holy thing in and of itself, and that any attempt to block the
    creation of a life during intercourse is an attack on life itself
    in its -- hmm, hello there." At this point the consortium turned to
    me with puzzled looks.

    "Who are you?" said the woman.

    "Uhh..." was all I could manage at the time.

    "Hello, son!" said the man with the Pipe. "Welcome to this fine
    discussion! Oh, good, I see you've brought the banana. Give it
    here, son." I handed the banana to the man. He proceeded to eat it,
    taking occasional puffs on his pipe. His face was astonishing -- it
    was perfectly cut in every way. He almost looked as if he was one
    of those little plastic snap-together models I played with as a
    child. His snappy suit looked as if it were part of his body, and
    his hair was a solid, smooth mass atop his head.

    After a moment he realized that everyone was staring at him for an
    explanation. "Oh, errrŠeveryone, I'd like you to meet Mark, Mark,
    this is everyone." He proceeded with introductions. The men in
    suits were William Aiken and Garrett Hardin, the man in flannel was
    Aldo Leopold, the woman was Ronnie Zoe Hawkins, and the Pope was,
    of course, the Pope. "Oh, and I suppose you know, but you can call
    me "Bob"." The quotation marks around his name were almost audible.
    He finished the banana and handed me the peel. "Thanks!" He smiled
    his most effervescent smile.

    "Well, let's get back to it. Mark, thanks for joining us, we're
    discussing the issue of contraception and whether it should be
    widely available to women across the world. Back to you, Karol." It
    occurred to me just then that "Bob" was standing behind a cut stump
    of a small redwood which acted as a small podium -- it also
    occurred to me that "Bob" would perhaps make the best debate
    director in the world.

    The Pope straightened his ornate white and gold robes and
    continued. "I really have only a few points to discuss. First, you
    must accept that the bond of marriage is handed down through the
    Church by God Himself. In it are two people, a man and a woman, and
    they generate offspring. When a husband and wife engage in sexual
    intercourse it is not a bad or evil thing; indeed sex within
    marriage serves to bring the husband and wife closer together in
    joy and pleasure. Second, I want you to realize that sexual
    intercourse and activity has the final purpose of the Creation of
    Life." At this remark "Bob" took out a small plastic bag from his
    jacket and reloaded his Pipe. It somehow lit itself and he
    proceeded to take an enormous puff.

    "One of the final purposes in marriage as outlined by God is this
    as well. If a man and a woman create life when they are married,
    this is a fine and beautiful thing. If a man and a woman engage in
    sexual promiscuity when they are not married, however -- this is a
    sin of the body and is not for the purpose of creating life."

    One of the men in the suits, Aiken, speaks up at this point. "Well,
    why can't it be? Why can't a man and a woman have sex when they are
    not married and have a child?"

    The Pope, with a confident look on his face, responded. "God tells
    us that sex within marriage is a sacrament of the Covenant between
    Christ and the Church, and that sex outside of marriage is a sin
    and should be condemned. Children conceived outside of wedlock are
    illegitimate."

    "Those filthy rotten BASTARDS! Excommunicate the worthless kids!"
    Dobbs' cheery grin took everyone by surprise after this remark.
    "How dare you attack children in this way! They're innocent, for
    Christ's sake! Sweet Jesus, save them from this horrible slander!"

    The Pope visibly cringed at "Bob's" language. "I did not mean to
    suggest, "Bob", that the children were at fault for their sins," he
    responded, "merely that their parents had passed their sin on to
    them. Marital love is the true authentic love as decreed by God.
    Husband and wife should take joy procreating together and know that
    they are following the Will of God. If a couple acts in any way to
    prevent the creation of life, they are deliberately revolting
    against God's Will." (Lawler, "Catholic Sexual Ethics" was used as
    the primary source of the Pope's views. See bibliography.)

    At this point "Bob" blurted out, "Perhaps that's true, but is that
    really the issue here? I mean, all this Capital Letter Talk is fine
    and good, but perhaps you should consider that Yahweh has more
    goals than just the procreation of the human species in individual
    cases. I mean, what if he wants the species as a whole to continue
    and perpetuate itself as long as possible? What if he wants life as
    a whole to continue and perpetuate itself as long as possible? What
    if, by refusing to limit the human population on the earth, we
    drive the rest of earthly life and subsequently ourselves into
    oblivion?"

    Hawkins picked up from there. "That's a very valid consideration,
    "Bob", and one to which I've given a considerable amount of
    thought." Her commanding gaze controlled the audience, except for
    "Bob", who wandered off up into the trees to urinate. "It has only
    been recently in our history, and by that I mean within the last
    few hundred years, that the human population has swelled to such
    exceedingly incomprehensible numbers as it is today. Before 1800
    there were only a few hundred million people in the world or less,
    sparsely scattered across the globe. Today, there are upwards of 5
    billion people! In our past people have been able to survive solely
    on what they find on the land around them or in the sea, today the
    human race depends on extracting the highest yield possible from
    the environment. It is at best unclear what the limit of natural
    resources is which we can use. Our overwhelming consumption of the
    planet has impeded the life cycles of countless other species,
    probably even species we do not know exist or existed.

    "There is evidence here and now which suggests that the human
    population is totally out of control. At the current rate, our
    numbers are doubling every 41 years. (Hawkins, "Reproductive
    Choices: The Ecological Dimension")  About 20% of humans live in
    desperate poverty, and about half of those have no means nor
    opportunities whatsoever to elevate themselves into a higher
    standard of living. The nations of the world which are experiencing
    this extreme population growth are looking toward any means to
    either control their growth or feed their starving people, and they
    cannot be blamed. Brazil is decimating its own rain forests so it
    can graze and sell cattle to the industrialized nations to generate
    money to feed its people. China is attempting mass birth control,
    child limitations, and now is even considering eugenics to 'weed
    out' genetic deficiencies."

    The Pope gasps loudly. "Surely you don't mean to suggest that you
    support the killing of babies if they exhibit certain traits or
    characteristics?!" Aiken and Hardin stirred from their resting
    place on their log. Leopold cocked an eyebrow at Hawkins. Dobbs,
    back from his excursion into the woods, smiled dumbly and sat down.

    "I'm not saying I support anything or am against anything for human
    moral purposes. I'm coming at this issue from a strictly
    environmental viewpoint, to present an opposing opinion. My point
    is, if contraceptive means are not used to lower the birthrate, we
    will become so massive as a species that we will push all of the
    rest of the world into death. If the rest of life on earth were to
    die, we would surely die too."

    "I agree with you that the population on the planet is an extreme
    and pressing problem," inputs Hardin, "but your approach to the
    problem is all wrong. The situation as it is now is this: Some
    humans, those in the industrialized nations, have started to
    realize the folly in a huge human population. This is shown by your
    figures, Ms. Hawkins, the more developed regions of the world
    average a population doubling of about 148 years. ("Reproductive
    Choices", p. 391 of VanDeVeer and Pierce text) If the rest of the
    world does not realize that they need to cut down on their
    populations, they will overbreed and die off due to famines and
    plagues. This is a harsh philosophy, but it is the way nature
    works. We should not succumb to the temptation, yes, the temptation
    to help out those starving in the poor countries. If we do this, we
    are only perpetuating the problem and cutting our own throats. By
    giving of ourselves to bail out the overpopulated, overpolluted,
    overburdened countries we will not be able to survive the future
    impact of this destruction. (Hardin, "Lifeboat Ethics")  From this
    respect, if overpopulated nations were to have the knowledge and
    means of using birth control, it would be theoretically possible
    for the poor nations to pull themselves out of their increasing
    dilemma and risk of utter destruction."

    Aiken ran his hand through his hair and said to Hardin, "That is
    absolutely ludicrous. You're extending the artificial limits of a
    nation's boundary lines to define a false system which you insist,
    wrongly, must be self-sufficient. You are a whining, fat and
    overfed dog who is resentful of the starving street dogs who kill
    for scraps of meat from a butcher."

    "Whoa, hold on there friends," said Dobbs. "Let's be civil, at
    least, or we might find ourselves back in time when people used to
    kill each other for the time of day!"

    "Sorry," said Aiken, "but that approach to the population problem
    is selfish and wrong."

    "I would have to agree with the young man Aiken on that point,"
    said the Pope.

    I put in my two bits. "Me too." I suppose in the wake of such a
    collection of massive intellect, my brain was just plain
    overwhelmed, and I couldn't add much input of my own into the
    conversation.

    "At any rate," continued Aiken, "he is assuming that the only
    controlling factor in where humans can and cannot live is the
    immediate availability of food. (Aiken, "The 'Carrying Capacity'
    Equivocation")  As is easily demonstrated by nations such as the
    members of O.P.E.C., food is most definitely not the controlling
    factor which decides if a nation can feed its people. With money
    and power in the international system comes the ability to survive.
    The members of O.P.E.C., for example, are able to import food to
    eat because they export a highly valuable commodity, oil. Without
    oil they could never survive in such high numbers in the desert,
    but with oil and the power it gives them they flourish."

    Aldo Leopold stood up from his rest atop a high stump. He clambered
    slowly down, and began to talk. "I tend to view this from both a
    more humanitarian, and a more ecological point of view. Humans
    today have exceeded their boundaries in population because they
    have isolated themselves from the world around them and convinced
    themselves they are not a part of it. The land is only property to
    many people, and even the air and water around the land are claimed
    by the countries of the world. Throughout our lives today in
    western society we are taught that humans are special in some way
    because we have conquered Nature. We have to work to change that.
    (Leopold, "The Land Ethic")  I am not saying, William, that the
    member nations of O.P.E.C. give up drilling for oil, I am saying
    that they should remember that they do have a duty to the world in
    which they live.

    "We owe it to the world to lower our rate of growth and eventually
    to lower our total population. Humans are most definitely an
    integral part of the world environment; I do not believe that any
    of you make arguments against this fact. Therefore, we owe it to
    ourselves to save our fellow members of the world ecosystem from
    the disaster we have created. If contraceptive devices were widely
    available and used, the population would be reduced. This is not an
    issue. We agree that the population must be reduced or eventually
    one of two things will happen: either we will live miserable lives
    with 40 billion people on our planet by the end of the twenty-first
    century, or massive numbers of people will perish horribly from
    starvation and disease. The question is, should we use
    contraception widely in the world or choose from the consequences?"

    "Only through God can the world be saved," said the Pope. "Through
    Christ's teachings and the doctrines of the Church, the people of
    the world can find the inspiration and the love for life to control
    their own procreation. You are all speaking as if all humans do is
    engage in sexual intercourse and nothing can be done about that.
    This is not true. Something can be done. Through God, we can attain
    the self-discipline and self-respect necessary to turn down the
    temptation of sex. Husbands and wives can find the knowledge,
    through the Church, to abstain from having sex and thus reduce the
    population. It is not necessary to abandon the Scriptures and use
    the evil of contraception to limit growth and preserve our planet.
    We can do this with God, Christ, and the Church."

    "But we can also do it cheaply and easily with birth control and
    easy-to-get abortions! Why should we not do it this way?"
    questioned Hawkins.

    The Pope countered, "The easiest path itself often leads to death
    and destruction."

    "So does the hardest! It doesn't matter! We are in a desperate
    situation which requires desperate measures to recover!" Hawkins
    was visibly agitated.

    The talking paused spontaneously for a moment. "Seven minute
    conversation lull!" I cried. I received some rather odd stares.

    "Dobbs, what do you think of all this?" said Hardin. Should we
    attempt at all to lower the population growth of the poorer nations
    of the world?"

    "Bob" smiled greatly and took a puff from his pipe. "Well, you
    know, Garrett, things generally work out for the best anyway...
    perhaps in this case we should just sit back and relax and enjoy
    the ride, whether we're going to Heaven, or Hell, or just
    Cleveland."

    "And abandon all thought of the innocent people on the planet who
    are being corrupted by the evil of birth control?" asked the Pope.

    "And those who are dying of starvation and poisoning from the
    pollution in their environment because birth control is not
    available?" asked Hawkins.

    "And totally disregard our responsibility and our duty to the earth
    on which we live and the other creatures we live with?" gasped
    Leopold.

    "By doing so, even if we in the industrialized nations survive,
    countless billions of people may die!" exclaimed Hardin. I could
    hear Aiken mutter "Shut up, fool." under his breath.

    "Yeah, "Bob"," I said, "that would really suck."

    "Well," he said, "you know, things always seem to work themselves
    out in the end...at least for me anyway. Relax, all of you! You
    make such a big deal over -- what were we talking about? The fate
    of the world and all the life in it? Well, you win some and you
    lose some, that's what I always say. If we get to the end of the
    world and all is destroyed, well, we've had one hell of a party
    doing it! On the other hand, if the world manages to survive and
    people get their acts together and all that, well, we've had one
    hell of a party doing that too!" The smoke from the Pipe drifted
    around the crowd. It seemed to have a soothing effect; they weren't
    quite as worried. I wasn't very worried, either, for that matter. I
    was quite giddy, in fact. The people all turned to "Bob". "Bob"
    smiled and charisma seemed to ooze from his mold-pressed skin.

    "Well, I guess that wraps it up then! Thanks for coming, everyone,
    I hope you all had a nice time. Errr, sorry I forgot the donuts."

    "Well, that's okay, "Bob", sins can be forgiven...." There seemed
    to be a particularly large cloud of the mystical smoke around the
    Pope as he uttered those words. The smoke around the people got so
    thick I could barely see them, and eventually I lost track
    altogether of where everyone was. When the smoke cleared, there was
    no one there except "Bob".

    "Well, son, what did you think?" asked Dobbs.

    "I'm not sure, it's sort of hard to decide. I thought Leopold was a
    likable fellow, he had some really valuable things to say. Aiken
    was pretty much just reacting to Hardin most of the time, and
    Hardin himself was pretty biased and self-centered about the whole
    thing. Hawkins' fervent desire to reduce the population is probably
    due to her proclaimed abandonment of the human-centered side of the
    argument."

    Now that the smoke had cleared it seemed I had some things to say.
    "I felt the Pope had some very valuable advice. Why should we jump
    immediately to using artificial means of preventing excessive
    births? We aren't incapable of overcoming our lust for sex."

    "Well...I guess..." started "Bob". "But sex is so much damn fun!
    I'd really be missing a lot if I didn't get laid."

    "Okay, point taken. Though it might be the ideal, I don't think one
    can realistically expect everyone in the world to join the Catholic
    Church and abstain from sex unless married and financially and
    ethically capable of raising children. All the same, extremes such
    as China's eugenics proposals should be countered by something. I
    was about to say 'countered by some force of morality', but who
    would that be? The United Nations? That organization is essentially
    controlled by the United States; I don't want one rich country's
    views being pressed on everyone else.

    "I don't see abortion as being as morally correct as pre-
    intercourse contraception like the pill or methods such as condoms
    or diaphragms. I personally recognize an embryo/fetus as, if not a
    full-fledged human life, at least the possibility of a life. But I
    don't really like to think my species is in all ways the best on
    the planet. We are certainly the most intelligent, the most
    adaptive, and the most handy with tools; but are we the most
    physically strong? Are we the most beautiful? Are we the wisest? We
    certainly don't have the biggest brains, or the most self-
    sufficient bodies or even the most dexterous appendages. Our self-
    importance rises from the fact that we are currently and
    coincidentally the most dominant species on earth. A hundred
    million years ago, the dinosaurs were. A hundred million years from
    now, most likely, another species will be. For this time, we are
    dominant -- while we are here we have an obligation, just like
    every other species does, to be responsible in our individual
    actions to the greater good of the ecosystem. If we ignore this
    duty we will perish."

    "Well, that's nice, I guess," said "Bob". He reached inside his
    jacket for another load from the plastic baggy. He took another few
    puffs and inhaled deeply. "Ahhhhh. That's better. Oh my, I almost
    forgot! I have to go kill Hitler! I'll see you around, Mark, thanks
    for coming! It was a real pleasure, honestly." He reached out his
    hand toward me.

    I grabbed his hand and shook it. I was overwhelmed with the aura
    immediately surrounding "Bob's" skin. I fainted and fell to the
    ground in a swoon.

    When I woke up, it was the late afternoon, and I was ravenously
    hungry. I finished my lunch sitting among the redwoods and carried
    my bike up the hill back to my house. I'd had an eventful day.

    BOBLIOGRAPHY

    Aiken, William; "The 'Carrying Capacity' Equivocation"; The
    Environmental Ethics and Policy Book, VanDeVeer and Pierce,
    ITP/Wadsworth 1994; pp. 384-389. (Original essay from Social Theory
    and Practice, Spring 1980)

    Hardin, Garrett; "Lifeboat Ethics"; The Environmental Ethics and
    Policy Book, VanDeVeer and Pierce, ITP/Wadsworth 1994; pp. 378-383.
    (Original essay from Psychology Today, 1974)

    Hawkins, Ronnie Zoe; "Reproductive Choices: The Ecological
    Dimension"; The Environmental Ethics and Policy Book, VanDeVeer and
    Pierce, ITP/Wadsworth 1994; pp. 390-400. (Original essay from APA
    Newsletters, Spring 1992)

    Lawler, Ronald David; Boyle, Joseph M., Jr.; and May, William E.;
    Catholic Sexual Ethics: a Summary, Explanation, and Defense;
    Huntington, Ind., Our Sunday Visitor 1985

    Leopold, Aldo; "The Land Ethic"; The Environmental Ethics and
    Policy Book, VanDeVeer and Pierce, ITP/Wadsworth 1994; pp. 138-147.
    (Original essay from A Sand County Almanac... by Aldo Leopold,
    Oxford University Press)

    Stang, Reverend Ivan, Ed.; Three-Fisted Tales of "Bob": Short
    Stories in the SubGenius Mythos with commentary by the editor;
    Fireside/Simon & Schuster Inc. 1990. pp. 11-23.

    Stang, Reverend Ivan, "The Third Fist"; Three-Fisted Tales of
    "Bob"; Simon & Schuster 1990 pp. 38-90.

    Stang, Reverend Ivan; The Book of the SubGenius; Simon & Schuster
    1984.