Re: [IWAR] MER: IW attack on Jordan

From: Daniel Roberts (joviteat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 15:24:38 PST

    ---almat_private wrote:

    >           C O L L A B O R A T I O N
    >                    A C R O S S   T H E   J O R D A N
    >
    > MER - Washington - 2/3/98:
    >      Jordan, under the Hashemite regime originally
    installed by British

    LAITH SHUBAILATT's article IT'S TIME TO SPEAK OUT
    AGAINST THE ZIONIFICATION OF JORDAN was a pleasure to
    read.  The tone and content follow the classic Arab
    (if one can generalise) love of conspiracies.

    >A careful observer of late and past official
    Jordanian positions would
    >reasonably conclude that they have methodically
    purported to annex
    >Jordan to "Israel" in the service of Zionist plans,
    against Arab and
    >Muslim ones.
    >
    >Understandably joint military exercises occur
    essentially between
    >states with similar policies and a compatible
    military strategy
    >identifying similarly WHO THE ENEMY IS...

    This ignores the more obvious joint exercises between
    countries such as the US & Oman, US & Russia, and
    Australia & Indonesia to name a few examples.  Joint
    military exercises serve many purposes, only one of
    which could include identifying similar enemies.  In
    the case of Israel and Jordan, it seems not only
    logical but prudent (to avoid dangerous
    miscalculation or accident in the Gulf of Aqaba) to
    hold joint exercises.

    Frankly, the thought of that there is a realistic
    desire to "annex Jordan to "Israel"" is a ludicrous
    as annexing Russia to the US, or Indonesia to
    Australia.

    The rest of the article give a point by point 'proof'
    of the validity of his position.  One thing is clear
    about the Middle East; there have been enough
    injustices committed by Israel to convince any
    'reasonable' person that the current state of the
    Middle East has been imposed through Zionist terror
    (remember Deir Yassin, etc), and that the status quo
    has been overtly supported by American foreign policy.

    However, it also needs to be remembered that many of
    the front-line Arab states have also contributed
    activity to the destabilising of the region, have
    actively suppressed their own people (frequently
    blaming external 'Zionists'), and have financially
    and militarily supported terrorist activities against
    their Arab neighbours.

    The situation in the Middle East may remain
    deplorable, but to attack Jordan for attempting to
    make the best out of a harsh reality is self serving.