Re: [IWAR] MER: IW attack on Jordan

From: William A. Wilson (wwilsonat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 14:08:24 PST

    Mark:
    COncerning your recent message commenting on MER, there are a couple of
    releted comments that I would like to submit. The first is that I have no
    knowledge of the character of Mr. Chomsky, but I appreciate your coming to
    his defense.  Interesting, though that you made no comment concerning
    Ramsey Clark, who together with Jane Fonda Turner would have been guilty of
    treason against the country they claim to be their own when they appeared
    in Hanoi during the Viet Nam confrontation to cause untold suffering to out
    prisoners being held in various camps throughtout that country.

    The reason the were not charged with treason, as I understand it, is
    because that military action was not a declared war, a war declared by
    Congress.  Contrary to you comment of yesterday, the President does NOT
    have the authority to declare war, only the Congress can do that. The
    President can and has, started military incursions, but factually they are
    not wars until Congress so designates.

    Getting back to Mr. Clark, I have no knowledge concerning the accuracy of
    his statements, written or oral, but if he declared that the sun was
    shining, I would quickly move to the nearest window to see what kind of
    weather was out there.

    WW