Re: [IWAR] NEW ZEALAND SIGINT expansion

From: Betty G.O'Hearn (bettyat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 15:55:23 PST

    <smaller>

    There is a book regarding this topic called "Secret Power" - New
    Zealand's Role in the International Spy Network,</smaller> <smaller>by
    PO Box 555, Nelson, New Zealand First published 1996 Reprinted 1996.

    <center>

    Chapter 2 Hooked up to the spy network: the UKUSA

    </underline>Chapter 3 The power of the Dictionary: inside ECHELON

    Chapter 4 Fighting the Cold War: the rold of UKUSA

    Chapter 5 The GCSB, ANZUS and a nuclear-free New Zealand

    Chapter 6 Behind closed doors: what happens inside the GCSB

    Chapter 7 The organisation: secret structures of the GCSB

    Chapter 8 Secret squirrels: who runs the GCSB

    Chapter 9 Station NZC-332: electronic eavesdropping from Tangimoana

    Chapter 10 Under the radome: what happens at Waihopai

    Chapter 11 The facts in the filofax: military signals intelligence
    missions

    Chapter 12 What are the secrets? The intelligence product

    Chapter 13 Who watches the watchers? Overseeing the intelligence agencies

    Chapter 14 Leaving the intelligence alliance

    Appendices

    A Who's who in New Zealand foreign intelligence organisations

    B A guided tour of secret intelligence facilities

     - Waihopai

     - Tangimoana

     - Overseas stations

    C Where the intelligence ends up

     - External Assessments Bureau

     - Directorate of Defence Intelligence

     - Courier links to the overseas agencies

    D Second World War signals intelligence history

    Endnotes

    Index and Glossary

    There is only place to purchase in the States. Email me if your
    interested.

    At 11:56 PM 2/4/98 -0800, you wrote:

    >This thread in cypherpunks started with the Sunday Telegraph report on

    >NSA's Echelon system, which reportedly monitors European SIGINT, and

    >continued through its current subject line when someone posted details
    on

    >transparent monitoring capability built into the ISDN digital
    telephone

    >technology. Follow the link below for info on the New Zealand
    franchise.

    >-hedges-

    >>Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 11:18:23 -0200

    >>From: Vicente Silveira <<vicenteat_private>

    >>To: jyaat_private

    >>Cc: cypherpunksat_private

    >>Subject: Re: More on ISDN Features

    >>Btw, a report from the New Zealand Herald ( 1997-07-21 ) says that

    >>New Zealand's secret facility of Waihopai ( believed to be part of
    Echelon

    >>) was

    >>being upgraded to be able

    >>to monitor an increasing volume of telecommunications on the Pacific.
    Even

    >>more

    >>interesting is that the NZ's Crimes Act was being modified to allow
    the

    >>interception

    >>of

    >>"private oral communications" ( phone calls ) of foreign states,

    >>organizations and

    >>individuals.

    >>The report :

    >>http://www.magnet.ch/serendipity/hermetic/crypto/echelon/nzh1.htm

    >>-vbs

    >>> I'm much more concerned about the Echelon system which was
    (finally)

    >>> reported in the Sunday Telegraph just before Xmas.  This system, it
    is

    >>> alleged, can intercept and look for keywords in ALL international
    comms

    >>> traffic.  I believe this also gets a mention in the Europarliament
    report.

    >>> Vote early and often for freely available strong encryption!!

    >>> (whatever JR mutters about 'doing him out of his livelihood' :=)  )

    >>> Key escrow is another example of complete bollocks, IMHO.

    Betty O'Hearn

    Assistant to Mr. Winn Schwartau

    813-360-6256 Voice

    813-363-7277 FAX

    http://www.infowar.com

    http://www.info-sec.com

    Everybody gets so much information all day long that they

    lose their common sense.

             - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).