Re: [IWAR] OUTAGE consequence; New Zealand

From: Reg Harbeck (rharbeckat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 18:40:58 PST

    On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, 7Pillars Partners wrote:

    :
    :Power failure brings New Zealand's largest city to standstill
    :
    : February 24, 1998
    : Web posted at: 12:15 p.m. EST (1715 GMT)
    :
    : AUCKLAND, New Zealand (CNN)
    : -- A five-day-old power blackout has
    : shut down most of New Zealand's
    : largest city, plunging stores into
    :[...]

    Verrry interesting.  In Quebec (Canada) there was an ice storm (not a nice
    storm) around Christmas which left people in the dark for weeks.  At the
    time I thought, "I wonder if the year 2000 will bring similar
    consequences".

    Now, I'm wondering if this (but not the Quebec one) might be in any way
    related to year 2000 problems, since 99 is also a problem, and any
    algorithm which adds 1 to the year for any reason might be prone to run
    into it.

    Is this the appropriate venue to bring this up?

    - Reg Harbeck     (URL: http://www.calcna.ab.ca/~rharbeck)