Re: [IWAR] OUTAGE consequence; New Zealand

From: Daniel Roberts (joviteat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 12:29:23 PST

    The problems with the failure of the power supply to
    Auckland have little or nothing to do with y2k stuff.
     The root cause of the problem was a lack of
    corporate accountability, coupled with a desire for
    increased profits, resulting in defferred maintenance
    and cost cutting through slashing staffing levels.

    The Auckland Power Crisis is the result of greed and
    a ruthless implementation of right wing economic
    policies, poor executive level management, and a lack
    of effective risk management.

    I know it doesn't sound sexy, but that's just the way
    it is.

    Dan

    ---Reg Harbeck  wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, 7Pillars Partners wrote:
    >
    > :
    > :Power failure brings New Zealand's largest city to
    standstill
    > :
    > : February 24, 1998
    > : Web posted at: 12:15 p.m. EST (1715 GMT)
    > :
    > : AUCKLAND, New Zealand (CNN)
    > : -- A five-day-old power blackout has
    > : shut down most of New Zealand's
    > : largest city, plunging stores into
    > :[...]
    >
    > Verrry interesting.  In Quebec (Canada) there was
    an ice storm (not a nice
    > storm) around Christmas which left people in the
    dark for weeks.  At the
    > time I thought, "I wonder if the year 2000 will
    bring similar
    > consequences".
    >
    > Now, I'm wondering if this (but not the Quebec one)
    might be in any way
    > related to year 2000 problems, since 99 is also a
    problem, and any
    > algorithm which adds 1 to the year for any reason
    might be prone to run

    http://www.calcna.ab.ca/~rharbeck)