[IWAR] IRELAND propaganda history hints

From: Mixmaster (mixmasterat_private)
Date: Thu May 21 1998 - 12:29:50 PDT

    Subject:      Re: Reconciliation Time
    From:         macdonaldwat_private (Big Mac)
    Date:         1998/04/24
    Newsgroups:   soc.culture.irish
    [More Headers]
    [Subscribe to soc.culture.irish]

    On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 01:14:50 +0000, taigat_private (Greagoir)
    wrote:

    >Brendan Heading <brendan.headingat_private> wrote:
    >
    >> As for the IRA ceasefire, it was actually Martin Hanna (where are you
    >> these days, Martin ?!) who suggested that the security forces were
    >> making significant advances on the IRA. I did echo this later on, but I
    >> don't know any of the real details about the security forces' progress -
    >> perhaps someone else does.
    >> --
    >> Brendan Heading
    >

    >However Martin is not an expert and most people regard that theory as
    >complete crap. The Peace process is well recorded and you are missing
    >most of it out, why I don't know. You know very little about the IRA and
    >Martin might have known less.

    Martin was spot on, I think.  Wasn't the military pressure increasing
    in the early 1990's?  I thought that this was what lay behind the
    revelations from the Brian Nelson trial - the British were using the
    loyalists to take out particular republicans with considerable
    success.  AIUI the security forces themselves had adopted a tactic of
    harassing the families and known associates of republicans, in
    preference to the republicans themselves, to help deepen their
    isolation and maximise the pressure on them.  A two-pronged strategy
    that is just as brutal as anything the SAS did earlier, but much
    better for British propaganda purposes, and much harder for the IRA to
    counter.

    However, the key change was the end of the Cold War and the collapse
    of anti-imperialist movements around the world.  Ireland couldn't
    remain immune from this profound development.