Re: [IWAR] RUSSIA surveillance backbone

From: 7Pillars Partners (partnersat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 16:58:24 PDT

    Actually, I give a low probability to any such system being put into place in
    the States, for the very reason that it would be opposed on valid civil rights
    grounds.  That said, Russia != (IS NOT) the United States; social contracts are
    more than the paper they're written upon.  Even in the darkest little hearts
    and minds in the States, they still have to fake it when it comes to the
    protection offered by the social contracts, tragic excepts notwithstanding.
    The 'habit' of freedom in Russia is weak, approaching zero, and so I would
    assign a higher probability of implementation (barring a cost assessment) in
    Russia.  Note that the cost might still make it prohibitive.  MW