[IWAR] RUSSIA surveillance backbone

From: 7Pillars Partners (partnersat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 14:20:07 PDT

    Put this in the 'important if true' category:
    http://www.jya.com/sorm-fsb-ru.htm

    -----

    From: "Maksim Otstavnov" <maksimat_private>
    To: cypherpunksat_private
    Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:28:02 +0400
    Subject: SORM: New ex-KGB moves in telecom
    CC: John Young <jyaat_private>, Chris Oakes <chrisoat_private>

    To whom it may concern:

    The text between [Start of translation] and [End of translation] lines below
    is a verbatim translation of the two drafts of documents which are currently
    in the state of approvement by the two Russian ministries: Federal Security
    Service (FSB, one of the five special services inheriting to KGB) and State
    Committee on Communications (Goskomsvyaz'). The originals (and comments) are
    available at the Libertarium Webpages (www.ice.ru/libertarium/sorm).

    Inconsistencies of the original texts (including but not restrictive to:
    paragraph misnumbering, language vagueness etc.) are left intact. I left the
    two Russian abbreviations: SORM for the System of efficient research measures,
    and FSB for the Federal Security Service, to avoid confusion in future.

    In short: if approved, the rules will provide ex-KGB with technical facility to
    _directly_ and covertly wiretap _any_ information transmitted via
    telecommunication networks including telephone, telegraph, Internet etc. and
    there will be no means to ensure KGBists obtained a court warrant (required by
    Constitution and other federal legislation) before wiretapping.

    Any informed comments (of legal and technological, not emotional nature) from
    both organisations and from individual experts are welcome.

    I am grateful to all involved with obtaining the documents. Hope some day I
    will be in a position to mention them by their names...

    - - Maksim Otstavnov

    [reference the URL for the remainder of the document]