[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 11:15:18 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    politics

    An Analysis of Spoiled Ballots in the 2000 Florida Election
    http://www.hamilton.edu/news/florida/

    political journalism in the United States has nearly ceased to exist
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/h062501_1.shtml

    these national "accountability" tests are a humongous can of worms
    http://tompaine.com/opinion/2001/06/20/

    tell your kids that Bush is killing the penguins
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/26/science/26PENG.html?pagewanted=all

    groups who discriminate should be protected against discrimination!
    (this is my favorite right-wing writer -- her articles *never* make sense)
    http://www.latimes.com/print/editorials/20010626/t000052821.html

    you and I have to pay taxes, but people who inherit huge sums of money do not
    http://www.bouldernews.com/business/25bgill.html

    wacky-left analog of Whitewater (except fortunately it won't be on page one)
    http://www.nexusmagazine.com/bushcheney.html

    our governor, a decent man, has defeated the vampires, for now anyway
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/27/opinion/27KRUG.html

    renewable power is the future; Americans mock the oil administration dinosaurs
    http://www.latimes.com/news/state/updates/lat_solar010626.htm

    GAO Gets Tough with Cheney Over Energy Task Force
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010625/pl/politics_gao_cheney_dc_1.html

    design

    make your own Swedish cow video
    http://www.fjallfil.com/

    video screens in subway cars that show the above-ground world
    http://www.subwayskylights.com/

    Research in Experimental Documents group at Xerox PARC
    http://www.parc.xerox.com/red/

    Interaction Design Institute Ivrea
    http://www.interaction-ivrea.it/

    Eyebeam Atelier
    http://www.eyebeam.org/

    Industrial Designers Society of America, Boston, 15-18 August 2001
    http://www.idsa.org/whatsnew/boston01/conference/

    news from Planet Microsoft

    Microsoft to Me: We're Turning Off Your Office
    http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2779746,00.html
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-202-6387054.html

    Microsoft's Window into Your Personal Life
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_27/b3739177.htm

    "AOL and Microsoft are determined to crush the spirit of online independence"
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/06/26/locking_up_the_web/print.html

    intellectual property

    Web radio that automatically identifies songs from sound clips
    http://www.clango.com/

    radio station that has stopped streaming because of DMCA uncertainty
    http://www.kxci.org/webradio.html

    Digital Millennium Copyright Act Status and Analysis
    http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/dmca.html

    The Link Controversy Page
    http://www.jura.uni-tuebingen.de/student/stefan.bechtold/lcp.html

    Industry Canada is considering Internet-related changes to copyright law
    http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/rp01100e.html
    http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/rp01101e.html
    http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/rp00008e.html

    Supreme Court decision on free-lancers' work converted to electronic form
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/06/25/scotus.copyright.ap/
    http://www.nwu.org/tvt/vichome.htm
    http://news.findlaw.com/news/s/20010625/courtmediadc.html
    http://laws.findlaw.com/us/000/00-201.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/26/technology/26COPY.html

    the wired car

    a version of my "wired car" article without so many editing errors
    http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/car.html

    drivers don't use automated toll roads because of bad interface design
    http://www.latimes.com/print/metro/20010624/t000052351.html

    taxi-mounted bit-mapped billboards that can be targeted geographically
    http://www.vert.net/

    New York Votes to Ban Phones Held by Drivers
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/26/technology/26CELL.html?pagewanted=print
    http://www.latimes.com/print/asection/20010627/t000052878.html

    similar bill in California killed by industry lobbying back in April
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/04/24/MN205056.DTL

    everything else

    software to suppress pop-up ads
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010625/tc/fea_hobbies_compubug_avoiding_ads_1.html

    interesting new Internet security sites
    http://www.incidents.org/
    http://www.dshield.org/
    http://www.mynetwatchman.com/

    Middle East Media and Research Institute
    http://www.memri.org/

    Sweeping Changes Suggested for NCAA
    http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49144-2001Jun26.html

    Multi-Nation Cybercrime Pact Gets OK
    http://www.zdnet.com/filters/printerfriendly/0,6061,5093153-2,00.html

    an anti-abortion terrorist is making threats against clinic workers
    http://www.post-gazette.com/headlines/20010620waagner0620p2.asp

    Genetically Modified Canola Becoming a Weed
    http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/06/21/gm_canola010621

    police attack peaceful anti-globalization protesters in Spain
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010625/wl/spain_protests_1.html
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010624/wl/spain_protest_3.html

    Hershey chocolate brought to you by child slaves
    http://www.azstarnet.com/star/today/10624NSLAVERYmain.html
    http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/06/24/national/HERSHEY24.htm?template=aprint.htm
    http://web.realcities.com/content/rc/news/slavery/philly/
    http://www.azstarnet.com/star/today/0624slave.gif