[RRE]hackers and cars

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 20:45:26 PDT

    [The world is full of exceedingly smart people who know all about the
    subject matter of their profession, be it medicine, transportation,
    or what-have-you, who are now wandering into the world of computers.
    These people are smart enough to make computers work in some narrow
    sense, but in many cases they are not acculturated enough into the
    world of computers to avoid severe design errors, particularly in the
    area of security.  The fact that many people in the computer industry
    commit the same errors, whether through ignorance, arrogance, or
    deadlines, doesn't help either.  The problem can be funny when
    it affects other people, but it stops being funny once we imagine
    automobiles on the highway being attacked with scripts.  The enclosed
    message is forwarded by permission, and has been reformatted to 70
    columns and slightly edited.]

    This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
    You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
    the "redirect" option.  For information about RRE, including instructions
    for (un)subscribing, see http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:39:34 -0600
    From: << a long-time RRE subscriber who prefers to remain anonymous >>

    Very interesting article/paper.  I work for << well, let's just say
    he knows what he's talking about -- PA >>.  As a result, I have an
    anecdote and a particular point which may be of interest to you.

    Client Anecdote:

            High-end vehicles (automobiles) contain three electrical
    busses: one for the engine and drivetrain (requiring real-time
    mechanisms), one for non-driveline-related controls (e.g. climate,
    locks, window controls), and one for entertainment/non-critical
    systems.  There are numerous variations one these (see SAE, Intel,
    and Motorola for gory details) but the basic situation is that (IMO)
    it's apppropriate to characterize them as fast, medium, and slow,
    or critical, important, and who-cares.  At the moment, most vehicles
    have only the fast and medium busses, and they're not interconnected
    at the data and control-message level.

    While discussing the evolution of these systems with vehicle engineers
    at a large mfr., it came out that they intended to interconnect these
    three systems in such a way that it would be possible to transfer
    data and control messages from one bus to another.  My background
    as a software designer and part-time system security geek led me
    to suggest to them several scenarios in which such a system might be
    intentionally hacked.  Their responses were frightening, to say the
    least.  Roughly, here is what they said:

      o First - no one can (is capable) of doing that
      o Two - even if they were, why would they? -or- Why would they want to?
      o Three - even if they could and did, we can build unhackable systems.

    These were very bright guys, mind you, who clearly had real talent
    in designing automotive systems, but the gap between what they
    thought and the mind of the average hacker (and I use that term
    in the classical sense of "someone who mungs technology for kicks")
    was astonishing.  We pointed out that ignition systems were already
    being hacked to improve performance.  "But that's different!" they
    replied, without being able to muster a reasonable explanation of the
    "differences".  We pointed out that the fast and medium busses were
    basically Ethernet-style mechanisms and therefore subject to similar
    problems.  "Oh", they said after a few minutes thought, "but it's
    *not* like that at all.  Ours is *simpler*."  Doh!

    In a few more minutes we (one of the original architects of the
    TCP/IP protocol and I) were able to conjure up several likely lines of
    attack, all of which were deemed non-implementable by the automotive
    engineers despite their having not a single general-purpose-software
    expert among them.  They were *literally* unable to conceive of
    the hacking possibilities they were about to offer us.  The closest
    they got to admitting they had a problem was to suggest that they
    would solve their bus data security problem by en/decrypting all the
    packets.  Right...and how much more processing power would you need
    for that, even assuming you could get enc/dec hardware fast enough to
    run a modern engine?

    In retrospect, I'm sure the conversation was just as frustrating for
    them as it was for us.  It never occurred to them that *some kinds of
    data are intrinsically valuable* and that software people as a class
    tend to want to poke at things for *no other reason* than that it's
    fun.

    Point:

            Intelligent Traffic Systems seem to me to be yet another
    attempt to replace human initiated first order errors (driving
    mistakes) with human-initiated second order errors (software
    problems).  In addition, the infrastructures typically described
    eliminate three types of alternative transport: motorcyles,
    motorscooters, and human-powered vehicles.  In Western US cities
    especially, motor-driven cycles are practical on a year-round basis
    and lower population densities make the construction of dedicated
    bicycle trails afforable.  In Alburquerque, NM, for instance, they've
    paved many of the access paths along the storm drains and irrigation
    system, thus making it possible to ride tens of miles without
    venturing onto surface streets.

    Fortunately, we live in a nation that can't even get traffic light
    sensors to detect a 500# motorcycle, so I'm not too worried about ITS
    being deployed any time soon.