[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 08:04:45 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    investigation

    Hijacking Clues May Be Red Herrings
    http://www.stratfor.com/home/0109132130.htm

    WTC Wreckage Guards Buried Treasure of COMEX Gold
    http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010913/n13111180_1.html

    more first-person accounts
    http://dks.thing.net/WTCSurvivalStories.html

    a claim about ignored evidence (in German so I can't read it)
    http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stocktalk/msg.gsp?msgid=16349305

    Secret Service Was Told: "Air Force One Is Next"
    (I find this whole story about moles dubious, but here's the report)
    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=93993

    response

    "stand with us against terrorism or face certain death and destruction"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/international/14ASSE.html

    New York's Firefighters Grieve for Lost Brothers
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28109-2001Sep13.html

    As Witnesses to Tragedy, Students Confront Fears
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/13/nyregion/13SCHO.html

    How to Talk to Your Kids About the Terrorist Attacks
    http://www.parentcenter.com/refcap/34754

    Seeking New Space, Companies Search Far From Wall Street
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/nyregion/14EXOD.html

    Internet Performs Global Role, Supplementing TV
    http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=637

    International Association of Fire Fighters
    http://www.iaff.org/

    Federal Emergency Management Agency
    http://www.fema.gov/

    security

    Airlines Seek Restrictions on Lawsuits Over Attacks
    (excuse me, but the airlines were in charge of security and weakened it)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/business/14INSU.html

    New Safety Rules Praised, Panned
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074176sep14.story

    Autopilot Could Land Hijacked Planes

    news

    Journalist's Toolbox
    http://www.geocities.com/mike_reilley_2000/newswriting/onlineindex.html

    comment

    Coming to Terms With a Dangerous New Reality
    http://msnbc.com/news/627174.asp?cp1=1

    US Must Realize There Are No Quick Fixes
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/256/oped/US_must_realize_there_are_no_quick_fixes+.shtml

    A World Out of Touch With Itself: Where the Violence Comes From
    http://www.tikkun.org/index.cfm/action/current/article/52.html

    Groups Urge Tempered Response to Attacks
    http://ens-news.com/ens/sep2001/2001L-09-13-08.html

    Don't Inflate the Size of the Enemy to Fit the Crime
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,551529,00.html

    Terror and the Sense of Justice (March 1978)
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=archive&s=neier_wtc_19780325

    Pax Americana by Patricia Williams
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011001&s=williams

    Struggling Against Fanaticism
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/opinion/14OZ.html

    Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson blame the ACLU for the terrorist attacks
    (the ACLU's secularism, we are told, is responsible for religious fanatics)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/national/14FALW.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28620-2001Sep14.html

    Atrocities May Be Designed to Provoke America into Costly Military Adventure
    http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/palestine/news2001/chiefSuspect091201.html

    Mr. Trigger-Happy (Egyption Gazette)
    http://64.124.221.202/algomhuria2/gazette/3/2.htm

    Ann Coulter's extremist column mysteriously yanked from Jewish World Review
    (but it's still on National Review)
    http://www.nationalreview.com/coulter/coulter091301.shtml

    satiric response to Eric Raymond's wacky urging of guns on airplanes
    (warning against people smuggling in narrow agendas under cover of the crisis)
    http://adequacy.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/9/12/102423/271

    tolerance

    Crowd in Illinois Demonstrates at Mosque
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010913/us/attacks_arabs_and_muslims_13.html

    civil liberties

    Preserving Civil Liberties in an Age of Terrorism (1998)
    http://www.nap.edu/issues/15.1/eland.htm

    Experts Say Digital Privacy May Suffer Amid Attacks
    http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-attack-tech-privacy.html

    Terrorism Bills Revive Civil Liberties Debate
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28636-2001Sep14.html

    background

    Suicide Terrorism: A Global Threat
    http://www.janes.com/security/regional_security/news/usscole/jir001020_1_n.shtml

    Countering the New Terrorism
    http://www.rand.org/paf/highlights/terrorism.html

    Bin Laden's attempts to acquire nuclear materials
    (I haven't read these carefully, so I'm trusting readers' summaries of them)
    http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/reports/binladen.htm
    http://www.google.com/search?q=laden+nuclear
    http://www.cdn-friends-icej.ca/isreport/septoct99/binladen.html

    CIA's Covert War on Bin Laden
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28094-2001Sep13.html

    Osama Bin Laden: How the U.S. Helped Midwife a Terrorist
    http://www.public-i.org/excerpts_01_091301.htm

    Middle East Developing Biological, Chemical Weapons
    http://ens-news.com/ens/sep2001/2001L-09-13-02.html

    The Coming Anarchy (February 1994)
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/foreign/anarchy.htm

    variety of aviation-related updated news links maintained here
    http://AviationNow.com/

    How Black Boxes Work
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/black-box.htm

    end