[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 19:24:54 PDT

    Here are some more URL's about the week's events.  I have tried to
    sort them into categories, but the categories do not work very well.
    Again I've included commentaries that I do not necessarily agree with,
    but I've divided them into relatively rational comment and comment
    that is way off the deep end.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    investigation

    article about the terrorists' lives in Florida
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=93961

    UAE Probes National's Links to Attacks on US
    http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/news.asp?ArticleID=26531

    Anonymous Tip Web Link to Report Information to US Authorities
    http://www.Anonymizer.com/news/tip_site.html

    Iridium's Phones Suddenly in Demand
    http://www.azrepublic.com/news/articles/breaking/0913iridium13.html

    State Department's most recent list (or so I'm told) of terrorist groups
    http://www.state.gov/www/global/terrorism/fto_info_1999.html

    Osama Bin Laden

    Talking with Terror's Banker
    (older interview with bin Laden)
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/dailynews/terror_980609.html

    FBI's Most Wanted Poster for Bin Laden
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/binladen1.shtml

    What Does Osama Bin Laden Want? Nothing We Have
    http://slate.msn.com/Assessment/01-09-13/Assessment.asp

    Bin Laden's Family Condemn US Attacks
    http://www.smh.com.au/breaking/2001/09/15/FFXL7FVAMRC.html

    Osama Denies Involvement
    http://www.rediff.com/us/2001/sep/12ny15.htm

    response

    National Emergency Proclamation
    http://news.lycos.com/news/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=243528&topic=national+emergencies+act

    Retaliation Is Trickier Than Afghan Terrain
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0914/p1s2-wogi.html

    Computer Recovery Companies Go to Work
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7141809.html

    They Can Run and They Can Hide: Suicide Bombers Are Here to Stay
    http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=93798

    US-Canadian border wait times
    http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/general/times/menu-e.html

    FAQ in Response to the Resumption of Commercial Air Service
    http://www.faa.gov/apa/faq/pr_faq.htm

    photos from around the world
    http://www.industrial.mu/world/index.shtml

    Bin Laden Poster Raised at Rally in Gaza
    http://www.smh.com.au/breaking/2001/09/15/FFX2NWOAMRC.html

    Young Tehranis Pay Homage to Terror Victims in US
    http://www.iranmania.com/news/currentaffairs/sep01/140901a.asp

    Humane Groups Strive to Aid Abandoned Pets
    http://www.bergen.com/news/scenepets200109147.htm
    http://www.aspca.org/weekly.asp?section=about

    Medecins Sans Frontieres Decreases Current Activities in Afghanistan
    http://www.msf.org/countries/page.cfm?articleid=6B6FB489-3517-4673-960EBD055C60A750

    resources from peace researchers
    http://www.evergreen.edu/user/copred/SEP11.html

    Respond to Violence: Teach Peace, Not War
    http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/corp-focus/2001/000085.html

    ALPA Irate Over Court Stay of Pilot Fatigue Rule
    (issued just before the bombing -- background on ongoing safety conflicts)
    http://www.alpa.org/internet/news/2001news/nr01093.htm

    Source: Dump Tenet Movement Underway
    (good idea, but it's Fox so who knows)

    Dealing with the Death of an Employee
    http://www.hr.com/hrcom/clickthru/clickthru.cfm?linkid=1021851003

    civil liberties

    communications intelligence is hard in a world saturated with communications
    http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,46817,00.html

    Examining the President's Powers to Fight Terrorism
    http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20010914.html

    Spying on Terrorists Gains New Urgency
    http://www.sunone.com/articles/2001-09-14jj.shtml

    Senate OKs Expanding Wiretap Law
    http://news.findlaw.com/ap/o/1110/9-14-2001/20010914030125750.html

    tolerance

    Anti-Arab Sentiment Festers Online
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010914/tc/anti-arab_sentiment_festers_online_1.html

    Protecting Muslims While Rooting Out Islamists
    http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?pg=/01/9/14/do02.html

    Recent Threats Lead Police to Guard City's Mosques, Muslim Community Centers
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/134341231_hatecrime14m.html

    Afghan Civilians to Face Increased Vulnerability
    http://www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/UNID/CA4BF841ECF11921C1256AC7004ABA34?OpenDocument

    Muslims Fear Backlash
    http://islam.about.com/library/weekly/aa091201a.htm?PM=59_0103_T

    background

    Intelligence Gathering Asymmetric Threats
    http://www.janes.com/security/international_security/news/usscole/jir001012_1_n.shtml

    Masood's Regional Allies
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1537000/1537244.stm

    Afghan Opposition Commander "Serious"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1544000/1544672.stm

    Saudis Cancel US Talks (shortly before the attack)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1535000/1535774.stm

    good satellite image of the Pentagon
    http://news.findlaw.com/news/s/20010912/amdf51679.html

    Cockpit Voice Recorder Transripts
    http://www.aviation-safety.net/cvr/transcripts.htm

    Reports, Statements, and Press Releases
    http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/us/terrorism/documents.html

    New York's World Trade Center: A Living Archive
    (not a response to the bombing, but a recent project)
    http://ericdarton.net/index.html

    The Lesson of History: Afghanistan Always Beats Its Invaders
    http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=93985

    Franklin Roosevelt's 1941 Speech to Congress
    http://www.usssaltlakecity.org/rholl-10.htm

    Tonkin Gulf Lie Launched Vietnam War (1994)
    http://www.fair.org/media-beat/940727.html

    The World Trade Center Bomb (1995)
    http://www.fas.org/irp/world/iraq/956-tni.htm

    Terrorism Research Center
    (lots of "terrorism research" has agendas, but I haven't evaluated this site)
    http://www.terrorism.com/

    relatively rational comment

    Letter from the Dalai Lama to George W.
    http://www.tibet.com/NewsRoom/hhdl-letter.htm

    Congress Must Not Abdicate to Bush
    http://monkeyfist.com/articles/779

    The Barbarians Will Learn What America's All About
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorialsopinion/134340317_pitts12.html

    comment from Pakistan
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/editorials.asp?id=1&date1=9/14/2001
    http://www.dawn.com/2001/09/14/op.htm#1
    http://www.dawn.com/2001/09/14/ed.htm

    Across America Tonight
    http://www.michaelmoore.com/2001_0914.html

    Please Don't Make Us Out to Be Angels
    http://argument.independent.co.uk/regular_columnists/yasmin_alibhai_brown/story.jsp?story=89554

    This Fireball of Fear and Loathing
    http://argument.independent.co.uk/regular_columnists/yasmin_alibhai_brown/story.jsp?story=93916

    opposition to limits on civil liberties from the extreme right
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/dieteman/dieteman89.html

    Don't Sacrifice Freedom

    content-free but sort of interesting rant against Chomsky, Moore, Falwell, etc
    (but this business of calling dissenters "anti-American" has to stop)
    http://www.nationalreview.com/ponnuru/ponnuru091401.shtml

    bizarre comment

    call to recreate Lord Roberts's 1878 march "from Kabul to Kandahar"
    http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?pg=/01/9/14/do01.html

    Jerry Pournelle demanding that various cities be razed to the ground
    http://www.jerrypournelle.com/war/whattodo.html

    "Ann Coulter takes the prize for the most hateful reaction to appear in print"
    http://www.inside.com/product/product.asp?pf_ID=2FF92284-5641-473D-B13E-13D8B634487F

    Jerry Falwell's non-apology for his appalling attack on gays and the ACLU
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/14/Falwell.apology/

    lunatic op-ed column that advocates using nuclear weapons against Afghanistan
    http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20010914-87723680.htm

    stupid conspiracy theory about George W. Bush and Osama Bin Laden
    (multiply by 1000, have Senators quote it, and you get the anti-Clintonites)
    http://www.geocities.com/burningbush2000/3.html

    Pat Robertson blames Americans for the terrorist attacks
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Attacks-Robertson.html

    news

    The Internet's Aviation Magazine and News Service
    http://www.avweb.com/

    The Press Under Scrutiny: Accepted vs. Critical Commentary
    http://www.topica.com/lists/holtuncensored/read/message.html?mid=1604692983&sort=d&start=35

    weblog of resources from the Guardian
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/weblog/special/0,10627,550687,00.html

    Handling the Loads
    (detailed account of dealing with extraordinary website demand)

    Niche Site to News Portal (article on Slashdot)
    http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=641

    how online media has treated Arab Americans
    http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=640

    Live TV Stations on the Internet
    http://www.webradios.com/inttv.html

    end