[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 19:06:37 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    An RRE reader was kind enough to write a script that turns these lists
    of URL's into HTML code.  You can find a complete list of the attack-
    related URL's that I have sent to the list here:

      http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/sofar.html

    Our server seems to be stable again, so it should be there.  It's not
    dated or sorted, but you can search it.

    My call for resources related to other countries where the envisioned
    war is likely to spread, unlike my earlier calls, has not met much
    response.  I'm wondering if I put people off with my pleas to perform
    quality control and only send high-quality items.  Maybe it sounded
    like I was saying that the things you were already sending me weren't
    high-quality.  I don't know.  Just understand that I'm now processing
    about 200 links a day, sending about half of them to the list, and
    so I'm flailing for some way of regulating the dynamic here a little
    more precisely.  If you do come across resources that seem relevant
    and useful to you in your own judgement, by all means send them along.
    If we're really going to have a generalized war against evil in sixty
    countries, if Bush isn't just doing a Reagan and acting like he's out
    of control in order to persuade the other side to fold, then we really
    are looking at a vast geography lesson.  And forewarned is forearmed.

    war

    When Evil Itself Becomes the Primary Foe
    ("eliminating evil" is a dangerous formula for a permanent, total, futile war)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074971sep18.story

    "New War" to Be Fought With Unprecedented Secrecy
    (secrecy is sometimes necessary, but it also corrodes democracy)
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/17/ret.us.secret.war/

    Analysts: Bin Laden Seeks Islamic Uprising
    (and going around bombing is exactly what bin Laden wants Bush to do)
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0109180322sep18.story

    the logistical problems of attacking Afghanistan
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1548000/1548842.stm

    Afghan Taliban Sees Holy War Against US
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010918/ts/attack_afghan_holywar_dc_4.html

    Clerics Put Off Meet on Osama
    http://www.hinduonnet.com/stories/01190001.htm

    Pak Mufti Talks Jihad Ahead of US Strike
    http://news.sify.com/cgi-bin/sifynews/news/content/news_fullstory.jsp?article_oid=7521356&category_oid=-20609&page_no=1

    White House Apologizes for Using "Crusade" to Describe War on Terrorism
    http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?a0720_BC_Attacks-Crusade&&news&newsflash-washington
    http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?db=*&term=crusade

    India Identifies Air Bases for US
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=1325922827

    Mubarak Calls for Counterterrorism Treaty
    http://washingtontimes.com/world/20010917-97599642.htm

    China Demands US Attack Evidence
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_1550000/1550495.stm

    "how far can the United States push Pakistan before it cracks up?"
    http://slate.msn.com/pol/01-09-17/pol.asp

    Pakistan's Nuclear Wild Card
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074988sep18.story

    Nuclear Installations Are Safe, Says Dr. Qadeer
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=18&date1=9/18/2001

    US Embassy, Interests in France Targeted by Terrorists: Officials
    http://www.ttc.org/pa10918a.htm

    EU Calls Emergency Summit on Terrorism
    http://www.ttc.org/da10918a.htm

    Soviet Union's Afghan Lessons
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/09/18/ret.russia.afghanwar/

    Iraqi Terror Connection?
    (is this disinformation or not? in a secret total war we can never know)
    http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,311414-412,00.shtml

    Fleeing Afghans Go From Frying Pan to Fire
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010918/wl/attack_afghan_camps_dc_1.html

    UN Refugee Commission Readies for Afghan Crisis
    http://ens-news.com/ens/sep2001/2001L-09-17-01.html

    Terrorist Cell Networks: Mapping the Invisible Enemy
    http://www.orgnet.com/tnet.html

    architecture and engineering

    before-and-after aerial photos  (watch out: the "after" photo is gigantic)
    http://www.planetizen.com/oped/files/20010917fullmanhattanbefore.jpg
    http://a573.g.akamai.net/7/573/5036/v002/www.spaceimaging.com/ikonos/wtc0915_2.jpg

    World Trade Centre: Some Engineering Aspects
    http://www.civil.usyd.edu.au/wtc.htm#general

    Trade Center Towers' Design Not at Fault in Collapse
    http://www.pioneerplanet.com/news/ncl_docs/134452.htm

    The Pentagon's Weak Defenses
    http://www.cincypost.com/2001/sep/13/pent091301.html

    Building Giants Ponder Reconstruction
    http://www.theage.com.au/business/2001/09/14/FFXLYRTFJRC.html

    Powerful Symbols of America's Power Now Reflect Its Weaknesses
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/09/13/MN216641.DTL

    Building Debate: Should Twin Towers Go Up Again?
    http://www.dallasnews.com/national/472263_nycarchitect_1.html

    We Cannot Allow Fear to Dictate Commercial Architecture
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/sep01/goulcol17091601a.asp

    The End of Tall Buildings
    http://www.planetizen.com/oped/item.php?id=30

    Rebuild or Not: Architects Respond
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/magazine/23REBUILD.html

    The Disaster and Its Urban Consequences
    http://www.hughpearman.com/articles2/wtc.html

    comment

    Good Guys and Bad Guys: Mr. Bush's Map of the World Is Redrawn
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,553601,00.html

    Crusader Bush Blunders Into His Own Holy War
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/19/world/world9.html

    Bush Is Walking Into a Trap

    comments on terrorism and revenge from Nepal
    http://www.nepalnews.com.np/contents/englishdaily/ktmpost/2001/sep/sep18/editorial.htm

    No Sympathy From China's Cyber Elite
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/sep2001/nf20010917_8982.htm

    Terrorist Attack on US: Turning-Point in Post-Cold War Pattern
    (Chinese government publication)
    http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200109/14/eng20010914_80248.html

    audio of Canadian radio interview program about the attacks on Thursday
    http://radio.cbc.ca/insite/AS_IT_HAPPENS_TORONTO/2001/9/14.html

    Questions: Seeking Uncommon Ground
    http://www.uia.org/musings/uncommon.htm

    Khobar Towers: A Case of Futility
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZPX58TQRC

    Media March to War
    http://www.fair.org/press-releases/wtc-war-punditry.html

    This New War Requires a Break With the Past
    http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpgit182370261sep18.story

    The Need for Dissent
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,553744,00.html

    No Blank Check on Economic Policy
    (deficits are back: liberals and conservatives are greatly relieved)
    http://www.americanprospect.com/webfeatures/2001/09/kuttner-r-09-18.html

    The Bigger They Come the Harder They Fall

    WWII Pilot Urges Caution in Response to Terrorists
    http://www.citizen-times.com/news/16690241.shtml

    a Lebanese-American's thoughts on citizenship and the war
    http://www.farha.com/american.html

    Did We Handcuff the CIA? (No)
    http://slate.msn.com/pol/01-09-18/pol.asp

    A Tinderbox in Palestine
    http://www.inthesetimes.com/web2523/seitz2523.html

    Violence Breeds More Violence
    (bin Laden wants Bush to provoke a global intifada -- will Bush go along?)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000074774sep17.story

    disturbing rhetoric at National Review Online
    http://www.spinsanity.org/post.html?2001_09_16_archive.html#5755134

    more craziness about guns on planes
    (the first one sees and raises by advocating racial profiling as well)
    http://www.theweeklystandard.com/magazine/mag_7_2_01/dealey_art_7_2_01.asp
    http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/2001/Sep-16-Sun-2001/opinion/17003646.html
    http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel091401.shtml

    jargon: "the West must stop apologizing for the greatness of our civilization"
    (this statement is so aggressively twisted, it causes me real concern)
    http://opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=95001154

    still the Bush hagiographers can do no better than "exceeds expectations"
    (even as he proves himself to be a vulgar jerk)
    http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2001/9/16/125727

    incredibly bizarre conservative attack on "Satanic" America
    (isn't this what "anti-American" is supposed to mean)
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=24458

    background

    long background piece on the Taliban
    ("even Taliban officials are said to be fleeing the capital")
    http://www.economist.com/agenda/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=786722

    biography of Osama bin Laden
    http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101010924/wosama.html

    the strange story of Osama bin Laden's involvement in the gum arabic trade
    (I have no idea)
    http://www.tdo.com/local/graphics/laden/html/2c.htm
    http://www.house.gov/wolf/2000907gumarabic.htm
    http://www.gumarab.com/body.htm
    http://www.plthomas.com/

    Uzbekistan News
    (an "Islamic Uzbekistan" site; no items on this page after March 2001)
    http://www.ummah.com/uzbekistan/news.html

    Aiding the Investigators: What the RFPA Allows You To Do
    (how financial privacy laws affect banks helping police investigations)
    http://www.privacyheadquarters.com/priv_basics/aidinv.html

    On Edge: Afghanistan's Neighbours
    (Iran, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Isbekistan, and Turkmenistan)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1548000/1548452.stm

    photo essays on Afghani refugees
    http://www.iranian.com/Arts/2001/September/Afghan/
    http://www.iranian.com/Arts/2000/June/Afghan/

    About the Ismaili Imamat and the Origin of Shiism
    http://www.akdn.org/imamat/imamat.html

    more background links on Afghanistan and the Taliban
    http://www.windweaver.com/politics/terrorism.htm

    lots of maps
    http://oddens.geog.uu.nl/browse.html
    http://oddens.geog.uu.nl/browsepages/atlases.html
    http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/english/htmain.htm
    http://www.grida.no/db/maps/prod/level0/

    Metaphor and War: The Metaphor System Used to Justify War in the Gulf (1991)
    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Texts/Scholarly/Lakoff_Gulf_Metaphor_1.html

    civil liberties, security, tolerance, and so on

    Senate amendment, passed Thursday, to expand wiretapping
    http://www.cdt.org/security/091101response.shtml/

    New York Legislature Approves Sweeping Anti-Terrorism Package
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZGDPEYQRC

    Disposable Phones: A Security Risk?
    http://news.excite.com/news/zd/010917/20/disposable-phones-a-security

    Who's Protecting Our Infrastructure?
    (better question: who's making them design it right in the first place?)
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/sep2001/nf20010918_8931.htm

    Gore Commission Demanded Airline Security, Airlines and Conservatives Said No
    http://democrats.com/view.cfm?id=4532

    New Security Rules Leave Workers Idle
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074975sep18.story

    Potential Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Attacks
    http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2001/01-021.htm
    http://www.dshield.org/

    Making Planes Safer by Making Fuels Safer
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/18/science/18BOMB.html

    Anti-War Songs Banned by Commercial Radio Giant
    (somehow they missed "Working for the Clampdown" and "Maggie's Farm")
    http://www.seattle.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6934&group=webcast

    Band's Web Site Bulletin Board Is Pulled
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-091501band.story

    Pop Culture Takes a Serious Reality Check
    (this page also has pointers to photo essays and other materials)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074965sep18.story

    Anti-Muslim Violence Up, Officials Say
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074972sep18.story

    news and information

    How Americans Used the Internet After the Terror Attack
    http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=45

    Canadian news magazine special issue on the attack
    http://www.macleans.ca/default.asp

    Institute for War and Peace Reporting
    (covers Central Asia, the Caucasus, and the Balkans in some depth)
    http://www.iwpr.net/

    Iranian-American magazine and online community
    http://www.iranian.com/today.html

    News Navigator
    (directory of world newspapers etc)
    http://www.transnational.org/new/TNN.html

    Search the Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States
    http://www.gpo.gov/nara/pubpaps/srchpaps.html

    Sudan Globe
    http://www.sudanglobe.com/

    response

    fairly reasoned petition against military retaliation for the attack
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~dhpicker/petition

    teachers who took care of the children affected by the New York attack
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/18/opinion/18TUE3.html

    "schools respond with lessons in working together and trying to understand"
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0918/p15s1-lekt.html

    National Association of School Psychologists: Coping with a National Tragedy
    http://www.nasponline.org/NEAT/crisis_0911.html

    Reflections on Humanity and Media after Tragedy
    http://web.mit.edu/cms/reconstructions/

    Disaster Response Information Portal
    http://www.sla.org/content/Help/webcomms/sept11help/disip/index.cfm

    Disaster Relief for Taxpayers Affected by the September 11th Terrorist Attack
    http://www.irs.gov/news/n-01-61.pdf

    Giuliani Earning Praise for His Displays of Compassion
    http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20010918/3639129s.htm

    Red Cross National Headquarters Statement on Internet Fraud
    http://www.redcross.org/press/mediarel/me_pr/010913fraud.html

    Rep. Doggett Balks at Airline Bailout Plan
    (whatever happened to personal responsibility?)
    http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/news_24.html

    FBI Issues Call for Translators to Assist Probe
    (this tells you how clueless the US has been about the rest of the world)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074980sep18.story

    Congress Struggles to Stay Under Umbrella of Unity
    (look, democracy doesn't exist without an opposition, even in wartime)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074967sep18.story

    bureaucracies

    FAA Office of Civil Aviation Security: Criminal Acts Against Civil Aviation
    http://cas.faa.gov/crimacts/

    The Global Portal for Airports
    http://www.airporthub.com/home/default.asp

    American Association of Airport Executives
    (motto: "boy, did we screw up")
    http://www.airportnet.org/

    US Department of Transportation Office of Inspector General
    http://www.oig.dot.gov/

    end