[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 14:01:44 PDT

    Since a substantial worm attack appears to be under way on the
    Internet, I'll take a moment to send out a small batch of URL's
    that are not related to the east coast attacks and war fever.
    No evidence yet links the worm attack to the aircraft attacks.
    I and others are experiencing sustained bandwidth problems today,
    but I have no idea if they are related to the worm.  (It would
    have to be quite a worm to cause widespread response problems.)

    Also, while I'm at it, my own Web site at UCLA is also having
    problems today, and I apologize for anyone who is trying to
    get through to any of my Web pages.  In any case, the RRE Web
    archive at <http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/> is working fine.

    If you have benefitted from RRE's coverage in the last week, I
    hope you will make a contribution to your country's chapter of
    Amnesty International: <http://www.amnesty.org/actnow/donate.htm>.
    If this war goes ahead as announced, it will be a serious human
    rights issue on many fronts before it is done.

    security

    Lethal Worm Spells Double Trouble
    ("it is extraordinary how much traffic it has created in a couple of hours")
    http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5097089,00.html

    Flash Worms: Thirty Seconds to Infect the Internet
    http://www.silicondefense.com/flash/

    The Future of Internet Worms
    http://www.crimelabs.net/docs/worm.html

    Can Hacking Victims Be Held Legally Liable?
    http://www.sidley.com/cyberlaw/features/liability.asp?print=yes

    Fallacies of a Secure and Private Internet
    http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/13092.html

    Security Hole Found in Gauntlet Firewall  (very bad)
    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/248

    Information Security Solutions Europe, London, 26-28 September 2001
    http://www.eema.org/isse/

    politics

    The DiIulio Resignation in Context
    http://www.islam-online.net/English/Views/2001/09/article1.shtml

    The Not Obviously Insane Network
    (that would be CNN)
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011001&s=alterman

    Movin' on Up with the Federalist Society
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011001&s=bach

    everything else

    faculty position announcement: information and public policy
    http://www.si.umich.edu/careers/faculty-posting2.htm

    Surge in Cell Phone Calls Strains 911 System
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7072-2001Sep10.html
    http://www.nena9-1-1.org/

    "European Copyright Directive", basically the European equivalent of the DMCA
    http://www.eurorights.org/eudmca/CopyrightDirective.html

    BBC Accused of Cancelling Quiz Show After Contestant "Lost on Purpose"
    (i.e., in order to share the prize with other contestants -- can't have that)
    http://www.WhatThePapersSay.co.uk/news.asp?dnid=10560

    How the Internet Is Being Changed from Liberation to Authoritarianism
    http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/PGPR01.html

    Chinese Editor Imprisoned for E-Mail
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010915/aponline035518_000.htm

    Gates at Appomattox: Why the US Surrendered
    http://www.thenation.com/docPrint.mhtml?i=special&s=moglen20010909

    cut 'n fold paper model of Bill Gates' mansion
    http://papertoys.com/gates.htm

    "mental health hotline" that was a cover for Scientologists
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/091501/Worldandnation/_Mental_health__hotli.shtml

    end