[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 00:55:55 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    war

    Show of Force Overture to Covert Campaign
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,554918,00.html

    How the US Will Fight
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/20/military_options/print.html

    update on all related US military activities
    (I have no idea how reliable this is)
    http://orbat.com/site/americagoestowar.html

    curious exchange with Ari Fleischer about the limits of the terrorist war
    (yes, there are spaces in that URL)
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010918-5.html#on the international terrorism

    British Muscle and US Jets Arrive in Jittery Islamabad
    http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/19/wtal319.xml

    don't forget that the Afghans still have those Stinger missiles
    http://atimes.com/c-asia/CI19Ag01.html

    Pakistan's Leader Tries to Assure Country
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/19/international/19CND-PAK.html?pagewanted=print

    Pakistan Backing US Under Pressure
    http://www.dawn.com/2001/09/19/top1.htm

    UK Group Issues Fatwa Against Musharraf
    http://www.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=619510697

    Europeans know all about the war on terror, and that's why they're uneasy
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/opinion/20FERG.html

    how France dealt with Algerian terrorism
    (what worked is protecting rights and supporting moderates)
    http://play.rbn.com/?wgbh/world/demand/we6.rm

    Lessons from the United Kingdom on How to Fight Terror
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/19/fighting_terror/print.html

    Pentagon Recommends Use of Nuclear Weapons
    (I have no idea)
    http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=8&id=78870
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20010920a6.htm

    Arafat the Winner in Ceasefire Battle
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,554337,00.html

    In the Gaza Strip, Anger at the US Still Smolders
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/international/middleeast/20GAZA.html

    US Stays Low-Key So Far in Central Asia
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59632-2001Sep19.html

    Ten People Die in Algeria Violence
    (Afghanistan is not the worst place in the world -- Algeria is)
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Algeria-Violence.html?pagewanted=print

    Defense Contractors' Shares Rise
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46774-2001Sep17.html

    civil liberties and security

    Ashcroft Presents Anti-Terrorism Plan to Congress
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59050-2001Sep19.html

    Mobilization Against Terrorism Act
    http://www.eff.org/sc/ashcroft_proposal.html

    Leahy Opposes White House's Antiterrorism Plan and Proposes Alternative
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/national/20CIVI.html?pagewanted=print

    alliance of civil liberties, conservative, Arab-American, etc groups
    (this site is scheduled to go live in Thursday)
    http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

    New US Law to Monitor Net Traffic Will Be Powerless to Disarm Terrorists
    http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=010920002370
    http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=010920002169

    FBI Should Abandon "Guilt by Association" Strategy
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ84ZN3SRC

    ISP's Curb Terrorist Postings and an Anti-Islamic Backlash
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/17/technology/17WEB.html?pagewanted=print

    Surge of New Technologies Erodes US Edge in Spying
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/national/20SPY.html

    we had endless, endless warnings of the abysmal security of our infrastructure
    http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/21.66.html

    Business Jets Pose a Little-Regulated Attack Opportunity
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/261/nation/Business_jets_pose_a_little_regulated_attack_opportunity+.shtml

    Design Goal: Keeping Jets From Misuse as Missiles
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/19/nyregion/19JET.html

    Massport Urged Airlines to Speed Up Lines at Security Points
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/261/nation/Massport_urged_airlines_to_speed_up_lines_at_security_points+.shtml

    New Security Clogs US Borders
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/business/20BORD.html?pagewanted=print

    Bogus Firetruck Warning Puts Crews on Guard
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/091901/TampaBay/Firetruck_warning_put.shtml

    America West Airline Pilot's Association Security Bulletin 2001-02
    (you'll certainly want to read guideline number 5)
    http://www.awalpa.org/secbulletin.htm

    tolerance

    Tolerance in Islam
    http://users.erols.com/gmqm/toleran1.html

    Every Time We Choose to "Explain", We Become Implicated
    http://www.iranian.com/Opinion/2001/September/Wrong/

    Society of Afghan Professionals
    (US organization, mostly centered in the Bay Area)
    http://www.sapweb.org/

    compassionate conservative response to an arson attack on an Afghan restaurant
    http://chowhound.com/california/boards/losangeles/messages/10530.html

    John Cooksey (R-LA) endorses profiling of anyone "wearing a diaper on his head"
    http://www.theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?StoryID=24605

    Suspect Called Himself a "Patriot" After Killing Immigrant, Authorities Say
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/breaking/0917attacks-arizonashooting-ON.html

    news and information

    praise for media coverage of the attack
    http://villagevoice.com/alertrd.php3?article=28255

    Forgetting Foreign Affairs: American Media Cut Overseas Reporting
    http://www.tompaine.com/news/2001/09/17/1.html

    PDF images of 300 newspaper front pages from the day after
    http://63.208.24.134/Terrorism/gallery/wedgallery.htm

    Al-Ahram Weekly (Egypt)
    (semi-official but fairly intellectual)
    http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/

    Turkish Daily News
    http://www.turkishdailynews.com/

    official Uzbekistan government news agency
    http://jahon.tiv.uz/Ukaz/2001/news.htm

    Uzbekistan Contacts
    http://www.tashkent.org/uzland/

    Tashkent Home Page
    (unofficial page on the capital city of Uzbekistan)
    http://www.tashkent.org/

    more world newspaper gateways
    http://www.thepaperboy.com/
    http://ajr.newslink.org/news.html

    CIA World Factbook
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

    jargon watch: defending oneself by comparison to the opposite extreme
    (study the Fox News spokesman's multiple distortions of the issue)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/business/media/20FLAG.html?pagewanted=print

    comment

    Noam Chomsky Interview on September 11th
    http://www.ainfos.ca/ainfos06101.html

    argues that the Soviets were winning in Afghan until the Stingers arrived
    http://www.politicalusa.com/columnists/guest_columns/wheeler_006.htm

    It's All About Oil ... Again
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,553884,00.html

    The Cost of an Afghan "Victory" (February 1999)
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=archive&s=hiro_wtc_19990215

    A Measured Response to Immeasurable Violence
    (what bin Laden fears most is a legal arrest and a fair trial)
    http://www.tompaine.com/history/2001/09/18/

    liberal links relating to the attacks including many items I haven't mentioned
    http://la.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=10467
    http://www.counterpunch.org/wtcarchive.html

    "we should try to rely more on law than war"
    http://members.aol.com/benferen/thought.htm

    Muslim American Sociologist's Perspective on the Emerging US Nationalism
    (small type, unfortunately)
    http://202.56.157.37/News/2001/09/2001091904.php3

    "the next war is going to be all about intelligence"
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/20/kaplan/print.html

    background

    photo essay of the conditions in Afganistan
    http://www.motherjones.com/web_exclusives/features/news/bowig_essay.html

    Afghanistan: The Soviet Invasion and the Afghan Response, 1979-1982
    (I'm told the whole book is online, though I can't get through this evening)
    http://escholarship.cdlib.org/ucpress/kakar.xml
    http://www.santafe.edu/~shalizi/reviews/kakar-soviet-invasion/

    Center for Afghanistan Studies, University of Nebraska
    http://www.unomaha.edu/~world/cas/cas.html

    History of the Khyber Pass
    http://www.afghan-network.net/khyber.html

    The Online Center for Afghan Studies
    http://www.afghan-politics.org/

    The Making of the Taliban (November 1996)
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1355

    Afghanistan's Other War (December 1986)
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/4920

    Bin Laden's Balkan Connections
    http://www.balkanpeace.org/our/our09.shtml

    Balkan - Albania - Kosovo - Heroin - Jihad
    http://www.balkanpeace.org/our/our03.shtml

    Israeli counter-terrorism site
    http://www.ict.org.il/

    schematic of a "suitcase" nuclear weapon
    http://www.fas.org/nuke/hew/Library/Brown/Bcbomb.gif

    well-reviewed history of European imperialism in Central Asia, 19C - early 20C
    http://www.tournamentofshadows.com/

    Ibn Khaldun Center for Development Studies
    (liberal research and advocacy group in Cairo, now being repressed)
    http://www.ibnkhaldun.org/
    http://www.ibnkhaldun.org/trial/press/170601.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/17/magazine/17EGYPT.html?pagewanted=all

    Terrorism and the Military's Role in Domestic Crisis Management (April 2001)
    http://www.fas.org/irp/crs/RL30928.pdf

    Sudan: Humanitarian Crisis, Peace Talks, Terrorism, and US Policy (June 2001)
    http://www.fas.org/man/crs/IB98043.pdf

    The Shadowy World of Special Operations
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/20/special_operations/print.html

    Greetings America. My Name Is Bin Laden. Now That I Have Your Attention...
    http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2001/010913_mfe_binladen_1.html

    Divided We Stand: A Biography of New York City's World Trade Center
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465017274/netsurferdigest

    investigation

    "other acts of terrorism were planned"
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=94841

    Three Are Held in Detroit After Airport Diagram Is Found
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/national/20INQU.html

    Atta, Now Seen as Conductor of the Attacks, Wore Many Masks
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/262/nation/Atta_now_seen_as_conductor_of_the_attacks_wore_many_masks+.shtml

    Roadblocks Cited in Efforts to Trace bin Laden's Money
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/business/20MONE.html?pagewanted=print

    New Task Forces Target Terrorist Funding
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59609-2001Sep19.html

    British Chancellor Gordon Brown Calls for Money Laundering Crackdown
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,554405,00.html

    Inside the Mind of Osama bin Laden
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59262-2001Sep19.html

    response

    intense letters from an NYU student who spent a week volunteering
    http://whisperingj.addr.com/katie/

    articles about the insurance law angle on the attack
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZQR79DSRC

    Radio Gets Patriotic
    (we need much better patriotic songs)
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/091901/Artsandentertainment/Radio_gets_patriotic.shtml