[RRE]Wish List

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 11:25:19 PDT

    This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
    You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
    the "redirect" option.  For information about RRE, including instructions
    for (un)subscribing, see http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

      Wish List:
      Ten Inventions, Some More Serious Than Others

      Phil Agre
      http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/

      Version of 20 October 2001.
      7000 words.

      Copyright 2001 by Phil Agre.  You are welcome to forward this
      article in electronic form to anyone for any noncommercial purpose.
      Please do not post it on any Web sites; instead, link to it here:

      http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/wish-list.html

      Please send me URL's for products or publications by serious people
      who have invented any of my wish-list items for real, or at least
      made good progress in that direction.  I'll gather and post them.

    Being an engineer means trying to change the world.  It's a kind of
    imagination, working back and forth between the world as it is and
    the world that new inventions are making possible.  Most engineers,
    I suspect, invent several devices in their heads every week, and for
    several years I've jotted down a note every time such an invention has
    come into my own head.  I find these notes comforting.  They mitigate
    life's annoyances, they stand a dim chance of causing the device I'm
    imagining to actually get built, and they invite discussion: what need
    does the device really address, why hasn't that need been addressed in
    some other way, and what does the fact that we're even talking about
    it say about the way we imagine the world?  Things become imaginable
    at particular places and times, and I want to understand why.

    So here are ten notes about things I've invented in my head and that
    I want someone else to invent for real.  Some are more serious than
    others.

    (1) Personal Access Guide.

    You are probably familiar with the Access Guides: tourist guidebooks
    that are laid out geographically, with maps and numbered, color-coded
    paragraphs.  They are famous as an advance in information design;
    they address the question "what's around me?".  What the world needs
    is a Personal Access Guide (with apologies to Richard Saul Wurman,
    who invented the Access Guides, and HarperCollins, who own the Access
    Guide trademark).  Imagine geographic information systems (GIS)
    merging with digital libraries and online payment systems to produce
    a marketplace for geocoded information packages.  We actually have
    a project in our department about the use of geographic digital
    libraries in college education <http://is.gseis.ucla.edu/adept/>,
    but I want to imagine the use of such systems in the consumer market.

    Here is a scenario.  You've moved to Los Angeles, and Los Angeles is a
    big place.  So you buy the basic Personal Access Guide platform, which
    runs on several platforms, and you buy the basic Los Angeles maps.
    Then you shop for Accessware.  The local booksellers' association
    publishes a free Accessware guide to their members, so you download
    that.  Likewise with the local museums.  For restaurants, you buy an
    Accessware Zagat Guide.  You also go to chowhound.com, where average
    Angelenos have been geocoding their restaurant recommendations; by
    poking them, you automatically download them into your personal guide.
    When you display all this stuff, it looks exactly like an Access
    Guide: maps, numbers, symbols, color-coded paragraphs, and everything
    else.

    Your guide, like GIS systems generally, comes in layers: each of the
    Accessware modules you've purchased is a layer, and you can toggle
    which layers are visible at any given time.  You can also group the
    layers, having for example a group for work-related information versus
    recreational stuff.  Because an elaborate marketplace in Accessware
    has developed, you have hundreds of titles to choose from, and online
    booksellers let their customers post reviews of Accessware guides,
    just as with regular books now.

    The range of likely Accessware publishers is unlimited.  Newspapers
    will provide geographic annotations for every place they mention,
    including not just restaurant reviews but the places where events
    happen in their stories.  That way, you can point someplace (or just
    go there) and ask the LA Times, "what has happened here?".  Or the
    LA Times could repurpose years of its reporting into neat packages
    of Accessware, all quality-controlled for its continuing interest.
    The smaller pieces could fit into the Access Guide format; others
    might be called up through other interfaces, or perhaps you can
    click on the Access Guide entries to call up more complex documents.

    You could use your Personal Access Guide either electronically or in
    paper form.  For example, you could accumulate an electronic list of
    places you've been meaning to go, and then on Saturday morning you
    could call up all of the places in a certain neighborhood that you're
    interested in.  The resulting map would suggest very graphically
    how to plan your day, where to park, where to get lunch, and so on.
    Or, having assembled your Personal Access Guide, you could print it
    out.  The printed Access Guides as they now exist are a perfect shape
    for holding in one hand as you walk around, or (this being LA) to
    consult as you sit at a stoplight.  If your hands are markedly larger
    or smaller than the norm, though, you could have your Access Guide
    printed in the optimal size, and all of the maps and descriptions
    would be laid out automatically from the content you've chosen.
    I personally get little value from the Access Guide descriptions of
    boutiques, but I would like to see more architectural entries, ethnic
    restaurants, used record stories, and historical places.  Likewise,
    I am more likely to frequent some parts of town than others, so I'd
    like to calibrate my guidebook to provide more detail in those areas
    and less in the others.  So to prepare my Personal Access Guide, I
    will mix up a salad of geocoded one-paragraph reviews from different
    sources, send the whole package to the printer, and get my guide by
    return mail.

    The Personal Access Guide that you can assemble from other people's
    content will be limited, though.  So perhaps you will market an
    Accessware module based on your own explorations of the city.  Just
    capture a geocode for each place (you can grab them from other guides,
    or if you're actually standing there then you can grab a geocode out
    of the air through wireless location services), write up a paragraph
    on it, answer the half-dozen questions that the Accessware framework
    defines (whether it's a restaurant or a shop or park or whatever,
    its address and phone number, and so forth), and drop it into the
    right folder.  When it's time to issue a new release, you just write
    yourself a little blurb, select the right menu entry, and your guide
    hits the market within fifty milliseconds.

    What will it take to make this wish come true?  A lot.  First of
    all, a critical mass of people need to have the underlying platforms.
    That probably means computers and network connections that can handle
    nontrivial map files.  These will be affordable within several years.
    We'll need standards, most of which are coming together.  GIS and
    digital libraries are huge research areas.  I don't know that anyone
    is working on the necessary geographic annotation standard, though.
    It's probably not a big technical stretch compared to the established
    GIS standards, but some issues are nontrivial: are the annotations
    based on latitude/longitude, street address, real estate parcel, or
    what?  Someone probably needs to build and maintain a database that
    cross-indexes different ways of referring to a place, and that's
    not easy.  Custom book printing, long-promised, will have to achieve
    sufficient scale.  Mechanisms for selling digital content over the
    Internet will finally have to get working, and we'll have to figure
    out the piracy issues.  Perhaps most Accessware will be produced
    on a public, nonprofit, volunteer, open-source, shareware, and/or
    loss-leader basis.  Mechanisms for transferring content easily between
    different devices will have to get working.

    Institutional issues will also arise.  The publisher who defines the
    Accessware framework (or whatever it ends up being called) may have an
    incentive to close the market, or at least tilt it to favor their own
    content over content from other sources.  An open-source Accessware
    framework (which would definitely be called something else) would be
    a great project, and could support a whole industry of products and
    services that support the resulting open standards.  Privacy would be
    a significant issue, since marketers would certainly like to know who
    expresses an interest in what, and especially who actually goes where.

    Once the basic framework gets established in the market, the potential
    for follow-on products and services is enormous.  If you can grab
    a geocode for "here", wherever you happen to be, then you can walk
    through a city preparing annotations as you go.  After eating a meal
    you can grab a geocode for the restaurant and type in a short review.
    A secondary market can arise to review, filter, and merge reviews
    from different sources.  Someone can invent a device that lets a
    driver ask, "what's that bakery I just passed?", and cause a geocode
    for the place (or a small set of guesses) appear on their PDA to be
    reviewed later on.  Geocodes can be linked to businesses' Web sites.
    A geocoded marketplace for apartment rentals would be an infinite
    improvement on the current system of street addresses in want ads.
    Maybe mass transit based on buses with fixed routes could be replaced
    by something more like shuttles for airport passengers or people
    with disabilities: small buses that are dynamically routed based on
    people's geocoded indications of where they are and where they want
    to go.

    What would happen if everyone used such systems?  Bad places would
    be driven out of business more quickly, and secrets would not remain
    secret as long.  Good places would prosper instantly whether they
    could advertise or not.  The general idea is that people would be
    matched with places more effectively.  Maybe cities would reshuffle
    as people figure out where they want to live based on the stuff that's
    available in oneneighborhood versus another.  People would no longer
    go looking for stuff in a certain place because of its reputation,
    because they would know ahead of time where they should look.  Fewer
    trips would be wasted, and more people would call ahead to be certain
    that they could get what they wanted.  Perhaps big signs would be less
    important for attracting people to places, and streets might become
    more presentable as a result.  Wireless "signs" might interact with
    people through their devices rather than directly.

    Now, this is a standard-issue tech fantasy.  It posits perfect
    markets, open standards, universal adoption, and all of the other
    elements of a hundred technology fantasies that have failed to happen
    over the years.  One problem is time: these things take longer than
    you expect to achieve critical mass.  But the market pathologies of
    standards are also at fault, for example in the temptations to slant
    the standards in favor of one vendor's content, or to cram the whole
    thing with advertising.  In spelling out the scenarios now, I hope I
    can increase, however infinitesimally, the chances that this sort of
    system will get established on an open basis.

    (2) Real-time water quality indications at beaches.

    My local beach, Santa Monica, routinely shows up in the annual LA
    Times lists as one of the most polluted beaches in the whole LA area.
    If Santa Monica, of all places, can't fix the sewage outflow pipe
    that makes its beaches unhealthy, what hope is there for water quality
    in the rest of the world?  What we need is useable water.  So imagine
    a buoy that continuously tests the water quality.  With advances
    in sensors, it should be possible to automate the tests for bacteria,
    common pollutants, and so on.  Electrical power would come from
    waves or solar panels.  The water tests could be run weekly, daily,
    or continuously, as the technology allows.  Then the results could
    be made available in several ways: by lights that are visible from
    the shore, by wireless communications to beachgoers' PDA's, and by
    wireless real-time updates of a Web site.  The data on the Web site
    could then be the basis for a variety of derivative services, such
    as automatic rankings of beaches (whether for the current moment,
    averaged over the last month, or whatever), a subscription service,
    detailed environmental reports, alarms whenever certain measurements
    exceed safety margins, and so on.

    Suppose these buoys could be manufactured and deployed for $5000
    each.  The state could deploy 100 of them along the coast.  Private
    parties could deploy them to make the case for better management of
    storm-water runoff, or else to show vacationers how clean the town's
    beaches are compared to others.  Over time, we could get used to
    seeing the invisible properties of the physical world.  Just like
    we're accustomed to seeing the temperature by looking at a thermometer
    outside the kitchen window, we could get the air quality the same
    way.  Admittedly not all problems can be solved in this way.  People
    who care about indoor air quality, for example, tell me that it's
    still a mystery why buildings become "sick", so nobody can build a
    detector yet for bad indoor air.  But hopefully as the expectation of
    environmental transparency becomes widespread, money will materialize
    to crank up the necessary research another notch or two.

    Out of pure curiosity I'd also like a "thermometer" that tells me
    what is happening in the electromagnetic spectrum in a given place.
    By cooperating wirelessly with its fellow thermometers across the
    geographic region, it would subtract out radio stations and the like
    that are ubiquitous in the region, and it would then tell me about
    electromagnetic stuff that is specific to a particular place: wireless
    LAN, police radar gun, radioactive rocks in the ground, and so on.
    This device would obviously need a large library of pattern-detectors
    for action at different frequencies, but the library could be
    accumulated on the Internet on an open-source basis and distributed
    to the detectors automatically.  The point here is not to hack
    the information that might be passing through the air, though if we
    can hack it then we might as well, since the bad guys will have been
    hacking it long ago.  The point, rather, is almost artistic: to see
    the world more completely, and to appreciate the kinds of connections
    among people, machines, and organizations that society runs on.

    (3) Self-diagnosing public address equipment.

    Have you ever wondered why public address equipment is so flaky?
    It's amazingly common: large numbers of people will assemble for some
    event, but the event will be delayed or sabotaged because microphones
    and/or speakers and/or who-knows-what aren't working.  Then you
    see the A/V people rush to trace wires, pull up duct tape, or tell
    people to use some other microphone.  The same thing goes for image
    projectors, lighting, and much else.  Having watched many A/V people
    frantically diagnose public address equipment, I often wished that
    the equipment would diagnose itself.  Why can't every wire dynamically
    monitor itself and shine little red lights (or fail to shine little
    green lights) if no signal is passing through them?  I don't just
    mean that they aren't getting any input, but that they can't persuade
    an internally generated test signal to pass from one end to the other.
    Why can't every microphone tell whether it is picking up any sound
    from the room?  A device could emits occasional "bleeps" outside human
    hearing range, and any microphone or other component that fails to
    hear the bleeps would declare itself out of the loop.  In short, if a
    component of an A/V system is not working, that fact should be readily
    visible to anyone.

    A related problem concerns plugs.  Do you know what the stupid
    symbols above the various jacks on the back of your computer mean?
    If so then you're in a small minority.  Plugs should be like data
    types: each type of signal should have its own shape of plug, and the
    different plug-types should (1) be readily distinguishable from one
    another, (2) relate in some meaningful symbolic way to the type of
    signal they carry, (3) have a name that normal people can understand,
    (4) be physically impossible to plug into anything with which it is
    incompatible, and (5) be *visually* impossible to plug into anything
    with which it is incompatible.  And by "type" I don't just mean
    the nature of the signal (e.g., audio versus video) but its meaning.
    So the headphone jack should look different from the audio-in jack,
    even though both carry audio signals.  Even non-technical people have
    rats'-nests of wires going around their houses, and the management
    of these wires is a useability issue like any other.  I do realize
    that Bluetooth et al are supposed to eliminate those wires, but like
    most people I'll believe that when I see it.

    Analogous comments apply to the Internet.  It's absurd that you have
    to call someone on the phone when you aren't getting enough bandwidth
    from your net connection, and it's downright archaic that the person
    has to physically come over to your house with diagnostic equipment
    to figure out what the problem is.  The real hassle is that bandwidth
    problems caused by misconfigured routers are usually intermittent,
    and disappear in the presence of diagnostic equipment.  So users have
    a choice between suffering silently and being written off as bandwidth
    hypochondriacs.

    It follows that Internet gear should diagnose itself.  The diagnosis
    should happen on each layer: routers should measure themselves, as
    should telnet and http connections.  Because an Internet "connection"
    is a virtual construction, rather than existing at the IP layer,
    problems may only be visible at those higher levels.  I realize that
    there's a world of complexity involved in interpreting the numbers
    that result, but all I'm talking about is automating the easy parts
    of interpretations that happen all the time.  System administrators'
    beepers should be going off automatically when there's a problem,
    rather than waiting for users' uselessly vague reports.  I realize
    that the industry has been talking about self-diagnosing network
    equipment for years.  The fact is that self-diagnosis is not a reality
    in most users' lives.

    (4) "Whatever happened to ...?"

    If any new-economy business magazines are still solvent, they could
    do a public service with a regular feature evaluating the predictions
    that prominent consulting firms have issued.  It could be the high-
    tech industry's way of improving on the useless "this day in history"
    features in regular newspapers.  So, for example, we might learn that
    "Five years ago this month, Whatever-You-Wanna-Hear Consulting Group
    predicted that approximately 100,000,000 cars would have wireless
    Internet connections by now; in reality, the number is approximately
    1,000".  Or, "Ten years ago this month, Mouthpiece Associates
    predicted that annual sales of live chickens on the Internet by this
    year would top $47B annually; in reality, online sales of sentient
    poultry are approximately $12".  Or, "In 1996, the founders of
    Cyberfad Systems predicted that by this year nearly all video games
    would be played over the Internet using VRML; in reality, well, you
    know what happened to that".

    One purpose of these retrospective evaluations, of course, would
    be to mock the people who issued the absurd predictions.  Certain
    consulting firms do have a reputation of reporting whatever ridiculous
    numbers are going to look good in their customers' business plans.
    Perhaps the retrospective evaluations will vindicate them.  Of course
    they'll get some of their predictions wrong, but all reasonable people
    will be comforted if half of the optimistic-sounding predictions
    weren't optimistic enough.  In any case, a more important purpose
    for retrospective evaluation is qualitative.  The idea of evaluating
    people's track records is old and obvious.  What we really want to
    know is their reasons.  Let's match the detailed arguments behind
    the predictions against what really happened.  Some predictions are
    true for the wrong reasons, and other predictions are way off even
    though major elements of their reasoning were surprisingly accurate.
    Patterns can emerge: perhaps some kinds of innovations turned out
    to be a lot harder than others, and the reasons are certain to be
    instructive.  In the end, the issue isn't really the consulting
    firm itself.  Imagination is collective property: consulting firms'
    predictions are a pure expression of the things that people find
    predictable at a given time and place.  The great virtue of the
    past is that people didn't know what was going to happen; they were
    burdened by prejudices, but they were not burdened by much of the
    knowledge that burdens us.  This is the greatest benefit of history:
    using the past to defamiliarize the present.

    (5) Automatic evaluation of ISPs' spam-enforcement efficiency.

    For years now, I have reported nearly every spam message to the host
    from which it was sent, as well as the hosts of the spammers' Web
    sites, the places they use as "Reply-to:" mail drops, and so forth.
    It's a nontrivial amount of work if you add it up over the years, and
    yet I have little idea how much good it does.  Nor do I have a good
    sense of how effective various hosts are at controlling spam, except
    in the case of certain hosts in less affluent countries that are
    chronically unable or unwilling to keep a postmaster alias working,
    much less enforce TOS against repeat spammers.  So it seems to me
    that we need an objective method of telling how good a job the various
    hosts are doing.

    Let's focus on the easiest case: free e-mail services.  For each of
    the services, let's write a script that creates a new account on that
    service.  Then let's start sending fake spam.  Create a few hundred
    accounts purely for the purposes of receiving spam, and create one
    account on each free e-mail service purely for the purpose of sending
    spam to the spam-receiving accounts.  Then we'll set the whole thing
    in motion, spamming like mad between our artificial accounts without
    bothering anyone else.  First we'll see which of the free e-mail
    services detects automatically that they're being used to send spam.
    Then we'll automatically generate some spam complaints and we'll see
    which sites continue to allow us to send spam.  Then we'll post scores
    for each site, ranking them by a Spam Responsibility Index.

    One problem with this plan is that it's probably illegal.  So, to be
    clear, I'm not literally saying that I wish that someone would do it.
    It's a thought experiment.  Still, it's interesting to speculate how
    one could get away with it.  The necessary scripts would have to be
    run through offshore proxy servers.  In the early days of the public
    Internet, many people assumed that such anonymity services would
    be a big business.  But it hasn't happened, both because few people
    want them and because their operators end up getting sued.  The
    world has turned out to be smaller than it seemed in the early days.
    Still, it's entertaining to imagine a world in which hackers know
    how to teleoperate complex operations like this one through many
    layers of indirection.  We want to believe that the Internet has dark
    corners.  Or at least we wanted to believe such things until recently.

    (6) Consumer Reports for design.

    My favorite magazine is Metropolis, which is an intelligent design
    magazine for designers.  Recently a Metropolis editor started Dwell,
    a magazine that reinvents interior design from the perspective of
    capital-d Design, advocating the kind of minimalist modernism that
    designers are still enamored of.  Dwell is good because it takes the
    whole worldview of Design and makes it practical for people who are
    designing their homes on real budgets.  The next step, it seems to me,
    is a kind of Consumer Reports for design.

    "Design" has various meanings.  Consumer Reports is run by plastic-
    pocket-protector engineers, and for them "design" means technical
    things: measurable attributes of safety, efficiency, comfort, and
    all-around usefulness.  And that's good.  But we also need a Consumer
    Reports for the more artistic and creative problem-solving aspects
    of design, or perhaps a Consumer Reports that combines the two.  So
    let's say I want to buy a car.  I don't just want a car that gets good
    mileage and doesn't need its whole front end replaced if it hits a
    lamppost at 5mph.  I also want a car that's well-designed.  Anyone can
    look at a car and come up with a blurry gut sense of whether they like
    it or not.  It's cool, or ugly, or whatever.  But serious aesthetics
    has layers, and many people are now paying attention to the layers of
    aesthetic judgement that others have articulated before making choices
    of their own.  So this suggests a magazine format.  One month, for
    example, they might have a spread about coffee grinders, evaluating
    them for their aesthetics and innovation as well as their coffee-
    grinding efficacy.  Another month they might cover lawn furniture
    or kitchen implements.  People can start populating their homes with
    objects that are challenging and interesting, confident that they are
    getting the best stuff.

    The challenge to magazine design is interesting as well.  For example,
    Dwell had a good piece about sofas recently, showing you in detail
    why you really want to spend $1500 for one.  But their nerve failed:
    the information design wasn't that great (not enough diagrams of how
    the sofas work inside, or how to really identify one kind of sofa
    versus another), and they only showed a sample of sofas rather than
    scanning the market to get a broad range of what's out there.  As a
    serious design magazine, they would be mortified to get into Consumer
    Reports' world of plastic-pocket-protector charts.  But surely there
    is an artful way to present similar information, perhaps without the
    whole hyper-scientific attitude of Consumer Reports but still with a
    respect for information and its role in people's decisions about how
    to spend their money.

    Another challenge would be telling people where to get the stuff.
    Where Consumer Reports deals in goods that you can buy at Target,
    serious design is generally distributed through narrower channels.
    You can pay a lot of money for a designer garlic press, and the
    markup from a design shop in Soho puts a lot of otherwise good stuff
    outside most people's price ranges.  The design houses that produce
    this design-intensive gear are in a real fix: if they distribute
    their stuff through other channels, perhaps over the Internet, then
    they will alienate the boutiques.  This is where the new magazine
    comes in: acting as an advocate for efficient distribution.  It's
    the new equivalent of the Whole Earth Catalog: access not to tools
    but to design.  The goal would be to democratize good design, thus
    creating pressure for good design even at the mass consumer level.

    (7) Daily reports on party lines.

    We associate the phrase "party line" with communists, and particularly
    with the CPUSA during the Depression when communists in the US
    operated openly.  It was often remarked that the party line could
    change overnight, and that the deepest convictions of one's communist
    acquaintances would change along with them.  But that phenomenon
    is hardly unique to the communists, and I am sure that dedicated
    partisans of both major political parties in the United States can
    reel off examples where partisans of the other party started arguing
    the opposite of their former positions once the government changed
    hands earlier this year.  The urgency of filling judicial vacancies
    is an often-cited example.  My view is that most of these partisans
    are unaware of their inconsistency: their goal is to further the
    tactical goals of their party, and they evaluate the arguments that
    they receive from their leaders purely in those terms.

    I suspect that few citizens, partisan or not, realize the depth to
    which daily political conversation is organized by party lines.  Many
    people repeat party lines unawares, having heard them indirectly from
    pundits or friends who listen to pundits.  A well-propagated party
    line becomes almost subliminal, like cognitive wallpaper; it emanates
    comes from so many sources that we can hardly imagine a world without
    it.  But then the sun goes down and comes up again, and now the world
    is papered with a different party line, again seeming so natural and
    ordinary that it hardly occurs to anyone to wonder where it came from.

    This suggests that the world would benefit from an explicit system
    for tracking party lines.  I'm thinking of something like Newsweek's
    "conventional wisdom watch", except that we'd make clearer that we
    intend it ironically, as a way to deprogram ourselves, and not as
    a weathervane for those who live in fear of falling out of fashion.
    "Party line watch" would warn people, in a gently mocking way: here
    are today's party lines, watch out for them.  That way, whenever
    a pundit uttered a party line everyone would stop and realize: that
    person is not reporting a personal opinion but following a line.

    You might be wondering where our knowledge of the party line would
    come from.  Surely it's a matter of guesswork?  Not at all.  When I
    speak of the party line, it's not a loose figure of speech.  The major
    parties in the United States really do issue party lines.  If you
    are a party activist then you can go to a Web site and sign up for
    it.  It will say things like, "the President's visit to the coast is
    going tremendously; enthusiasm is building for his tax proposals; his
    comments in Capital City were well-received by large crowds; support
    was particularly strong for his principled and courageous assertion
    that we have begun a new day in America; now is the time to act
    so that we can bring fairness and reason to a system that has stood
    in the way of progress".  Those exact phrases may not appear in
    pundits' columns the next morning, but paraphrases of them regularly
    do, often woven in with other themes that were already in the air.

    The point is not that pundits are hacks who grind out what they are
    told, but rather that they remain in good standing with their network
    of political partisans only if they stay on side.  Every pundit has
    a broad choice of raw material every day from a variety of partisan
    sources.  But a disciplined political movement will have so many
    pundits that its party line will get the saturation exposure it
    needs, in the paradoxical way these things work, to operate on people
    subliminally.  This is especially true for political "strategies"
    (to use the word the professionals use instead of "line") that are
    formulated and spread by partisan think tanks, which are nothing
    but nonprofit public relations firms that exist to install certain
    thoughts in the minds of targeted segments of the population.
    Accordingly, a thorough "party line watch" would include not only
    the tactical day-by-day messages of the parties but the longer-term
    messages that are being pushed by other organized interests.  This
    would include the "public affairs" and "issue management" consulting
    firms that very quietly orchestrate propaganda initiatives on behalf
    of their paying customers.  These interest-group messages may not be
    issued as daily memos to followers, but it should not be hard for the
    political junkies in Washington to capture them for the rest of us.

    Now, this proposal does have a downside.  In a democratic society,
    it is reasonable for groups of people to organize their political
    strategies in private.  The government cannot compel a political
    organization to turn over its membership lists, for example.  The
    phenomenon of people repeating party lines is, in a sense, the way
    democracy ought to work.  That's how we know that parties are healthy
    and effective: when people identify so strongly with their party's
    principles that they accept the party's voice as continuous with their
    own.  A real democrat cannot argue that people who repeat a party line
    are ipso facto being coerced or brainwashed, since democrats believe
    that people are capable of participating in the political process that
    governs them.  That's what democracy is, as opposed to the political
    process being run by experts or an aristocratic elite.  This is not
    to say that we should always accept people's repetition of party lines
    as representing their best interests; if the party line consistently
    fails to make logical sense, for example, then we have a case that
    *something* is wrong, even if we do not know what.  Even so, it is
    reasonable for political movements to build the infrastructures they
    need to mobilize their partisans.

    The problem with party lines, then, does not arise from the simple
    fact that people repeat them, but rather from the position of the
    independent or undecided citizens who don't realize how orchestrated
    the debates around them have become.  The case for revealing party
    lines does not arise from their secrecy as such, but rather from the
    overwhelming capacity of the largest political parties to colonize
    the institutions of public debate, and to give them a character that
    is completely different from what they claim to be.  I'm not saying
    that political parties should be compelled to disclose their party
    lines; such a proposal would clearly be unworkable as well as wrong.
    A "party line watch" would only work if it was informal and ironic,
    and done not in a corrosive spirit but in the name of getting people
    to lighten up.

    (8) Online music sites that tell you how long each recording is.

    In the old days, we knew how long a record was.  Singles on 45s were
    three minutes long with a similar B-side on the back; 33rpm records
    were 20-25 minutes on a side.  With the advent of CD's, however,
    things changed.  A CD can be as long as 80 minutes, but many CD's were
    simply copied from LP's.  As a result, a CD can go anywhere from under
    a half-hour (e.g., Nick Drake's otherwise commendable "Pink Moon")
    to the full 80 minutes (many anthologies).  Some classic records have
    been remastered (whatever that really means in practice) and augmented
    with outtakes and live recordings; Lucinda Williams' transcendent
    self-titled record has been given this treatment to great effect.
    But then a somewhat similar record, Rosanne Cash's "Interiors", feels
    complete at 34 minutes.  So it's not always about quantity; not that
    anyone ever said it was.  Even so, I do wish that online music sites
    would tell us how long each record is.  Record reviews often post
    warnings about short recordings, and in many cases quantity matters
    quite a bit: with an anthology, for example, I generally want to
    hear a broader sample of whatever the anthology is claiming to survey.
    Lists of the tracks are often a decent substitute, especially in
    genres where the lengths of the tracks are predictable, but in many
    genres that's not the case.  So let's have freedom of information.

    (9) Shopping basket price comparison for online commerce sites.

    While we're talking about online commerce, price comparison sites
    like mysimon.com (which can surely find a better name now that so many
    names have been abandoned by other dot-coms) only compare a single
    item at a time.  The next step, it seems to me, would be to feed the
    URL for your Amazon.com shopping basket into a Web site that sends the
    whole lot to different sites and produces quotes on whatever subsets
    of the goods each site has available.  The correct interface for this
    is not obvious, but we'll figure it out.

    (10) A book that explains the adult world to children.

    The last item on my wish list is not related to technology, but it's
    more important than any of them.  People become the adults they are
    largely because of the childhoods they had, and a major problem with
    childhood is that nobody tells you what's going on.  I'm not talking
    so much about secrets; it's reasonable that certain matters are
    kept away from children who could never understand them, or who would
    inevitably blow them out of proportion.  Rather, I'm talking about
    the ordinary adult activities that children are not socialized into
    until, too suddenly, they become adults.  For the most part, children
    get dragged from one place to the next, staring into space as their
    parent engage in one boring grown-up deal after another.  Children get
    scolded when they stray from these scripts, even though they've rarely
    been told what the scripts are.

    What we need, then, is a cultural practice of explaining to kids what's
    going on and how it works, and scaffolding the kids' own involvement
    in it to the greatest practical extent.  On a simple level this can
    look like, "okay, this evening we're going to cook dinner, and then
    our friends are coming over, and we'll talk and play for a while, then
    we'll eat, and you'll head up to bed, and we'll have boring grown-up
    conversations downstairs".  On a more complicated level, it means
    having children do as many social things as possible: ordering their
    own meals in the restaurant rather than having their parents order
    for them, leading the way to a familiar location rather than being
    dragged there, doing the talking when checking out the groceries
    at the supermarket, writing their own invitations to their birthday
    party, and so on.  People don't often put their kids on the front
    lines of these social rituals, for the simple reason that the kids
    don't know how.  The hard part, finding the dynamically adaptive
    middle ground between dragging them passively around and throwing
    them in the deep end, is what psychologists call scaffolding, or what
    Vygotsky called the "zone of proximal development".  (See Mike Cole's
    book, "Cultural Psychology".  In fact scaffolding and zone of proximal
    development are not quite the same idea, but the difference doesn't
    matter here.)  Scaffolding means finding the exact boundary of what
    the kids are able to do, and hanging around the edges to pick up the
    slack when they reach the current limits of their skills.

    Of course, lots of scaffolding happens spontaneously.  Children would
    never grow up otherwise.  I don't mean to criticize parents; they
    generally mean well and do the best they can.  The problem is in
    the culture, and inherent in the very situation of being a grown-up
    who has forgotten what it's like to be a child.  I want us to invent
    things that insert children more fully into the grown-up world by
    ramping up the scaffolding exponentially.  I am a big believer in
    how-to manuals, and I would like to see how-to manuals that explain
    the grown-up social world to children.  This is hard, not least
    because most grown-ups cannot themselves explain many of the social
    rituals they engage in, except perhaps when they are right in the
    middle of them.  I am constantly amazed at the basic facts about
    the social world that have never been written down, and I have
    expressed that amazement by writing down as many of the rules of my
    own professional world as I have been able to articulate.  I have
    probably written down a hundred pages of material that is crucial
    to professional success but that is rarely taught, if ever, and I am
    certain that I have only scratched the surface.

    The material that needs explaining to kids is endless.  Where is
    the how-to that explains to a child how to organize a party?  Or how
    to negotiate for something they want?  What listening is (as opposed
    to just following orders) and why it's a good idea (and not just a
    sign of obedience)?  How to identify an issue that they care about,
    articulate it in a way that others can understand, and then talk to
    all the others who care about it as well?  How to understand someone
    else's agenda as part of convincing them to do what you want?  How
    grown-ups find jobs?  How grown-ups manage their money?  Some of these
    skills are useful immediately in a child's life, and others are useful
    because they make grown-ups and grown-up situations intelligible.
    (Some books do exist that are at least similar to what I'm talking
    about, especially in the area of conflict resolution; see for example
    Myrna B. Shure and Theresa Foy Digeronimo, Raising a Thinking Child:
    Help Your Young Child to Resolve Everyday Conflicts and Get Along With
    Others, Holt, 1994.)

    Why is this important?  Vygotsky suggests that our cognitive machinery
    originates in the social situations of childhood.  We internalize
    those patterns of social interaction and turn them into patterns
    of thinking.  If we grow up in a settled routine of authoritarian
    interactions, for example, then authoritarianism will be ingrained
    in our thought patterns.  If we go around being bored, dragged
    through situations that nobody explains to us, then that same boredom
    and meaninglessness will be the outer horizon of our consciousness
    for the rest of our lives.  Either we'll drift around in mindless
    conformity to our surroundings or we'll engage in rebellions without
    the slightest capacity to comprehend the world that we are rebelling
    against.  In either case we will be completely ill-suited for life in
    a democracy, or for life in a dynamic market economy for that matter.

    I'm not against self-expression and play; I'm not in favor of pushing
    children into adult roles before their time.  There is a difference
    between practicing adult roles and actually having responsibility for
    putting food on the table.  Likewise there is a difference between
    understanding the adult world and actually having to live in it.
    As autonomous childhood cultures die out, though, it seems to me
    that we are moving into the worst of worlds: childhoods crammed with
    highly structured activities that, however didactic their intent,
    afford little any room for genuine initiative and little scaffolding
    for children's structuring their lives for themselves.

    You can see this in a lot of college students, who might be good at
    working in structured settings but who become irretrievably lost in
    situations that are not adequately structured by others.  They panic.
    They become paranoid.  They rebel.  What am I supposed to do?  What
    are the rules?  How am I being evaluated?  Give me feedback so I
    know how I'm doing!  Then they take revenge on the end-of-term course
    evaluations.  It's sad to watch.  And the system reinforces it by
    trusting the course evaluations (which provide numbers and so must be
    objective) instead of evaluating a course by the quality of the work
    that students do.  Incredible amounts of human potential go to waste,
    and the system's inherent recoil finishes off those few who try to do
    anything about it.  As we revert from the era of mindless liberation
    to the era of mindless conformity, perhaps we can take advantage of
    this brief moment of transition to escape the cycle of cluelessness
    that stifles our culture.  It's a slim hope, but it's the hope we've
    got right now.

    end