[RRE]Networking on the Network

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 19:30:42 PDT

    Dear RRE Subscribers,

    I would greatly appreciate if you would forward this announcement to
    everyone you know who is a student or faculty member in a PhD program.

    "Networking on the Network" is a free 120-page guide to professional
    skills for PhD students.  It explains in great detail how to speak
    at a conference, build a community around your research topic, write
    a dissertation, get a job, advise others, and become a leader in your
    field.  Professional networking cannot substitute for good research,
    but good research cannot substitute for networking either.  Networking
    and research go together, and "Networking on the Network" explains
    analytically and ethically just how.  It also includes an extensive
    bibliography.  It is available on the Web:

      http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/network.html

    Many of you have seen earlier versions of "Networking on the Network".
    The new version, however, includes about fifty pages of additional
    material, especially in the more analytical sections toward the end.
    This material should be taught in PhD programs, and too many people
    fail because they do not understand it.  "Networking on the Network"
    sets out to solve this problem, and I hope you will pass it along to
    anyone who can use it.

    Thanks very much

    Phil Agre