[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 23:19:43 PST

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    Pick Hit: Green Linnet Records, Twentieth Anniversary Collection

    Please keep sending me music critics' 2001 top-ten lists.
    They'll probably keep coming out until February.

    Also: The war ain't over!  I hope you can take a minute to hunt
    down URL's for background on terrorists and/or freedom fighters
    in Yemen, Somalia, and the Philippines, which appear to be the
    next stops in our global geography lesson.

    war

    Bin Laden Translation Omitted Sections That Would Embarrass Saudi Arabia

    Broad Effort Launched After '98 Attacks
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A62725-2001Dec18?language=printer
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3616-2001Dec19.html

    leftist rant against thoughtless leftist opposition to the war
    (in the old days, the left couldn't wait to make war on fascists)
    http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/05/dissonnance-cooper.shtml

    Voices From Behind the Veil
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1219/p1s3-wogi.html

    long two-part radio story about Arabs' views of the United States
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20011220.atc.06.ram
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20011220.atc.07.ram

    Why Are They So Angry At Us?
    http://www.americanradioworks.org/features/resentment/

    entertaining rant about Osama bin Laden
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/printarticle/gam/20011217/COSPIDER

    FBI Investigates Possible Financial Motive in Anthrax Attacks
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9523-2001Dec20.html

    the United States harbors terrorists
    (you will recall that George Bush even pardoned one of them)
    http://www.miaminewtimes.com/issues/2001-12-20/feature.html/1/index.html

    civil liberties

    very creepy interview with the guy who's implanting ID chips of people
    (you must hear his list of potential scenarios for using them)
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20011219.atc.05.ram

    A Pitch for Smart Postal Stamps
    (someone's law: everything in the world is growing a digital shadow)
    http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,49186,00.html

    Smarter Driver's Licenses
    (someone else's law: say no to anything that's "smart")
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000100654dec20.story

    "a look at the FBI's computer surveillance scheme"
    http://www.sfbg.com/News/36/12/fbi.html

    When Jail Is No Alibi in Murders
    (this is why we have trials, appeals, and all that)
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0112190353dec19.story

    Strategies for Complying With Australia's Privacy Principle
    http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2001/handelsmann-2001-11.html

    Australian Agencies Get OK To Read Private E-Mail
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/173088.html

    the murder of Mexican human rights activist Digna Ochoa
    http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/05/news-trevino.shtml

    politics

    "is it OK to talk about the recount yet?"
    http://www.newyorker.com/THE_TALK_OF_THE_TOWN/CONTENT/?011224ta_talk_hertzberg

    the Republican "stimulus" bill leaves me speechless
    (it's like something out of the 19th century)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/21/opinion/21KRUG.html

    The GOP's New Lobbyist in Chief
    (amazing)
    http://www.public-i.org/commentary_01_120701.htm

    New Rules Called Loopholes to Pollute
    ("grandfathering" under the Clean Air Act is a long-running scandal)
    http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/thursday/news_c3128765377161ee00e0.html

    Freedom, Openness And Presidential Papers
    (this is wonderfully Orwellian -- librarians should not read it while eating)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3912-2001Dec19.html

    Bush is protecting the FBI over its involvement in organized crime in Boston
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=special&s=shapiro20011219

    Perry Defends Appointment of Ex-Enron Official
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1180366

    Enron: A Complicated Collapse
    (remember to say "alleged" whenever you talk about them)
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/675290.asp

    jargonheads think in stereotypes so primitive that one fact can prove anything
    (it's a wonder they can feed themselves)
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/h121901_1.shtml

    news from Planet Microsoft

    Microsoft Issues Patch for "Serious" XP Hole
    (idiots)
    http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO66849,00.html
    http://digitalmass.boston.com/news/2001/12/20/microsoft.html
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8244349.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/internetnews/story/0,7369,623459,00.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1717000/1717676.stm
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-059.asp
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011220/tc/microsoft_hackers.html
    http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AD20011220.html

    yet another Microsoft virus
    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/12/19/011219hnreeezak.xml

    Halting Microsoft's March in Europe?
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/dec2001/nf20011220_8690.htm

    Save the Net, Sue a Software Maker
    (please)
    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/47

    music critics' top-ten lists

    Kevin Whitehead's year-end jazz picks, from "Fresh Air"
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/fa/20011210.fa.02.ram

    best of 2001 from public radio in New York
    http://www.wfuv.org/wfuv/bestof01_staff.html

    weekly and monthly DJ picks from public radio in Santa Monica
    http://www.kcrw.org/music/djpicks/
    http://www.kcrw.org/music/top5.html
    http://www.kcrw.org/music/charts.html

    everything else

    Software Glitch Grounds New Nikon Camera
    (oh, great)
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-8246450.html

    Hack Turns Servers Into Waiting Zombies
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8249159.html

    Warez Groups Wracked by FBI Raids
    http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100883,00.html

    Is 802.11g Wireless Doomed?
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/communications/story/0,2000024993,20262461,00.htm

    background on interference and safety with LAN's in the microwave oven range
    (okay, it's three orders of magnitude less power than an oven, but still)
    http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/05/24/wireless.lan.idg/
    http://www.sfu.ca/radiation-safety/wireless.pdf

    Web Radio Not Making Waves
    (give it time)
    http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000098785dec13.story

    Why Being Multinational Is No Longer Enough
    http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/pubitem.jhtml?id=2679&sid=0&pid=0&t=globalization

    Organize to Win: A Grassroots Activist's Handbook
    http://britell.com/text/tgrassroots.html

    Funology (CHI workshop), Minneapolis, 21 April 2002
    http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~djr14/CHI02_funology

    you swallow a litre of snot a day
    (I figured you'd want to know that)
    http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp?id=ns232216

    You Have a Very Bad Hotel
    (requires PowerPoint, might not work right under Netscape)
    http://www.craphound.com/misc/doubletree.htm

    party tricks to create phantom-limb-like illusions in normal people
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/mind/note_nf6.html

    end