[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 14:25:01 PST

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    Pick Hit: Bob Dylan Live, 1966: The Bootleg Series, Volume 4

    Happy New Year.

    war

    "New" US War: Commandos, Airstrikes and Allies on the Ground
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/29/international/29STRA.html?pagewanted=all

    Many Say US Planned for Terror but Failed to Take Action
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/30/national/30TERR.html?pagewanted=print

    How a Report on Terrorism Flew Under the Radar
    http://www.cjr.org/year/01/6/evans.asp

    MI5 Blunders Over Bomber
    http://www.observer.co.uk/waronterrorism/story/0,1373,625833,00.html

    The Making of a Human Timebomb
    http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,625823,00.html

    Bush to Ignore Rule on Written Notices of Intelligence Actions
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?T=uspolitics_news.ht&s=APCz2EBapQnVzaCB0

    Seeking an Arab View of News
    http://www.sunspot.net/technology/bal-te.journal27dec27.column

    How Islam Lost Its Way
    (a call for secularism)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37263-2001Dec28.html

    Pak, India to Exchange List of Nuclear Facilities
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow.asp?art_Id=1077264592

    "Plan Colombia" Leads the US Into the Heart of Darkness
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-000103060dec30.story

    Missile Defense: The Untold Story
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/29/opinion/29KELL.html

    Healing After Terror
    http://www.tikkun.org/magazine/index.cfm/action/tikkun/issue/tik0111/article/011103.html

    civil liberties and security

    A Tantrum Over Art in Memphis
    (I'm struck by the oblivious arts people's inability to defend themselves)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/29/arts/design/29LIBE.html

    right-wing claim that Israeli spies breached the feds' wiretapping system
    (I have no idea whether it's true; the news is simply that they're claiming it)
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/12/18/224826.shtml

    Security Overhaul for Wireless Networks
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1723000/1723171.stm

    politics

    lists of newspapers that endorsed Bush versus Gore
    (1996 was one of few occasions when a majority endorsed the Democrat)
    http://www.wheretodoresearch.com/Political.htm#Endorsements

    Language: A Key Mechanism of Control
    (from Newt Gingrich's GOPAC, it's the Rosetta Stone of modern jargon)
    http://web.utk.edu/~glenn/GopacMemo.html

    watch jargon: a festival of jargon from one of the pros
    (it's one-sided to start with, and its paraphrases twist everything)
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20011227-60253775.htm

    habitual Republican mendacity on the issue of judicial appointments
    (absolutism corrupts absolutely)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37242-2001Dec28.html

    jargon watch: textbook example of PR techniques for casting doubt on a number
    (use rhetoric to insert negative symbols between the number and reality)

    The Politics of Scholarship: Liberals, Anti-Communism, and McCarthyism
    (Cold War liberals' curious refusal to blame McCarthyism on conservatives)
    http://www.english.upenn.edu/~afilreis/50s/theoharis.html

    music critics' top-ten lists

    top-ten list from Zuendfunk
    (described by a reader as "without doubt the best music show on German radio")
    http://www.br-online.de/jugend/zuendfunk/musik/charts2001/alben01.htm

    The Year in Music
    (discusses many bands you haven't seen listed elsewhere)
    http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/06/music.shtml

    The Year in Classical Music
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/friday_review/story/0,3605,623170,00.html

    The Year in Rock and Pop
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/friday_review/story/0,3605,623171,00.html

    everything else

    Symposium: Advisors and the Dissertation Proposal
    (several articles -- may require a password or site license, I'm not sure)
    http://www.apsanet.org/PS/dec01/toc.cfm

    ICT Infrastructure and Externalities Affecting Spatial Structures
    (the author's English isn't great but the argument is interesting)
    http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/rb/rb67.html

    Globalisation, the New Economy and Regionalisation
    (this is really about the role of networking in regional production governance)
    http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/rb/rb70.html

    World Currency Museum
    (showing how many countries have currency that's cooler than the Euro)
    http://www.banknotes.com/images.htm

    indispensable map-making site
    http://www.mapquest.com/

    "the shocking effect that using a mobile phone has on a child's brain"
    (I like the Mirror, but realize that it's not a serious newspaper)
    http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/shtml/NEWS/P15S3.shtml

    India Deal Mired in Enron Collapse
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011224/bs/energy_bg_enron_dc_1.html

    Early Warnings of Trouble at Enron
    (audits should be organized by shareholders' cooperatives)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40094-2001Dec29.html

    the travesty at the Smithsonian
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/27/ED170372.DTL

    Mexicans Angered by Spread of Modified Genes in Corn
    (I hope someone has kept a clean copy of the earth on backup tape)
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Mexico-Modified-Corn.html

    New Mexico Church Plans Harry Potter Book Burning
    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-80672.html

    end