[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 22:49:23 PST

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    war

    report from the Afghan village that we attacked based on bad intelligence
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/me/20020204.me.02.ram

    Bush Keeps Terror Photo "Scorecard"
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20020203/pl/attacks_bush_2.html

    Bush's Speech Shuts Door on Tenuous Opening to Iran
    (he'd rather have an enemy than engage with an emerging democracy)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18121-2002Feb3.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,644988,00.html

    yet he omitted Syria, whose government has no redeeming value at all
    http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=125006
    http://docsmgmt.hrw.org/syria-pubs.php

    "Israeli peace group that supports soldiers who refuse repressive assignments"
    http://www.yesh-gvul.org/english.html

    Pearl Uncovered Jaish-Pak Govt Complicity: Paper
    (I have no idea)
    http://origin.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=875141272

    Al Qaida May Have Tried to Kill Clinton
    (but it's UPI so who knows)
    http://www.upi.com/print.cfm?StoryID=04022002-082828-8434r

    a bunch of photos to accompany the Post's series on the White House at war
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/flash/photo/politics/10days/index.htm

    civilian technology influencing the military
    http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/02/fallows.htm

    civil liberties and security

    Muslims Feel September 11th Chill as Mecca Plays It Safe
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/05/international/middleeast/05SAUD.html

    thoughtful article on anti-terrorist legislation by Bruce Ackerman
    http://www.lrb.co.uk/v24/n03/acke2403.htm

    Bush May Ax Police Technology Program
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Terrorism-Technology.html

    ABA Defies Bush on Tribunals
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020204/ap_on_re_us/aba_tribunals_6
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21229-2002Feb4.html

    Scalia Questions Church's Position on Capital Punishment
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020205/ap_on_go_su_co/scalia_death_penalty_1
    http://pewforum.org/deathpenalty/resources/transcript3.php3

    the government is still ignoring "brain fingerprinting"
    (thankfully)
    http://www.techreview.com/articles/hogan013002.asp

    "the US government's central website for information about identity theft"
    http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

    The Magazine of Wireless Location
    http://www.nearmagazine.com/

    The Whole Earth, the Digital Earth, and the Eclipse of Wonder
    (a response to David Brin's arguments against privacy)
    http://baja.sscnet.ucla.edu/~curry/Curry_VESG.pdf

    Cyber-Rights & Cyber-Liberties (UK) Fifth Year Statement
    http://www.cyber-rights.org/5th_year_statement.htm

    background on the Tlatelolco Massacre, Mexico City, 1968
    http://fcis.oise.utoronto.ca/~daniel_schugurensky/assignment1/1968mexico.html
    http://www.imagenlatinoamericana.com/latinoamerica/latinoamerica_en.asp?articleId=155
    http://199.97.97.78/todo/2001/12/13/-----/8875-0351-Mexico-Massacre..html

    the Bush scandals

    Bush's Aggressive Accounting
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/05/opinion/05KRUG.html

    Overstatements in the State of the Union?
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/698840.asp#intelligence

    Bush again cuts a program after using it for a photo-op
    http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/101265459814372237.xml

    Confusing the Facts of the GAO-Cheney Dispute
    ("Fleischer and Cheney consistently exaggerate the GAO's request")
    http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20020204.html

    Memo Details Cheney-Enron Links
    (from last Wednesday; it includes a link to a PDF file of the memo)
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2002/01/30/MN46204.DTL&type=news

    "but Cheney may be hiding more than that ..."
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,198862,00.html

    the allegedly incriminating Enron board report
    (I've provided some different sources just in case)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/enron/enron.pdf
    http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/enron/sicreport/
    http://www.chron.com/content/news/photos/02/02/03/enron-powersreport.pdf

    assorted fallout from the report
    (the Salon article requires subscription)
    http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2002/02/03/enron/print.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/business/04RAPT.html?pagewanted=print
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23663-2002Feb4.html

    Enron Seen Facing Criminal Prosecution
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/698979.asp
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/business/04CRIM.html

    compare Enron to the Bush brothers' dealings of ten-fifteen years ago
    http://www.motherjones.com/news_wire/bushboys.html
    http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/05/13/president.2000/jackson.bush/

    Whereabouts of Enron's Lay a Mystery: House Panel
    http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/020204/n04131532_1.html

    Wall Street Banks "Knew About Enron"
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2002/02/02/cnron02.xml&sSheet=/money/2002/02/02/ixcity.html

    Enron: A Powerful Blow to Market Fundamentalists
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_05/b3768043.htm

    Editorial Comment: Holding Enron to Account
    (imagine thousands of companies quietly scrambling to fix their books)
    http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3B01299XC

    AFL-CIO Asks SEC Bar Enron Directors
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20020204/bs/enron_union_dc_1.html

    identifying the limited partners in the Enron scam
    (they might be in the same trouble as Enron)
    http://www.cfo.com/article/1,5309,6613,00.html

    The Houston Chronicle Stays Loyal to Kenny Boy
    (or so their competitors say)
    http://houstonpress.com/issues/2002-01-31/hostage.html/1/index.html

    cartoon about Enron
    http://www.globeandmail.ca/series/cartoon/01friedcar.html

    intellectual property

    The Bell Tolls for FreeRepublic.com
    (their use of news articles resembles the early political uses of print)
    http://www.disinfo.com/pages/article/id2015/pg1/

    the coming Napsterization of TV
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/035/business/The_television_industry_is_running_scaredP.shtml
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_06/b3769087.htm

    Microsoft Is Moving Into the Movie Biz
    http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=26139798

    "Dirty Dozen" Bills Reveal a Tech-Activist Congress: Cato
    (compulsory licensing of online content, though, is a lesser evil)
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/174175.html
    http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-423es.html

    Positive Intellectual Rights and Information Exchanges
    (I haven't studied this, though, so I don't know if the argument works)
    http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/aigrain.pdf

    politics

    Washington Times attacks them -- then offers to sell them ad space to rebut!
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18447-2002Feb3.html

    the desolate state of media discourse, e.g., about "bias"
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/h020202_1.shtml

    jargon watch: study Mitch Daniels' "mad cow disease" quote
    (this exact pattern is extremely common)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/05/national/05ASSE.html

    jargon watch: study the quotes by spokesman Steve Drachler
    (he's working a repertoire of jargon devices that we've grown numb to)
    http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20020202cmup2.asp

    everything else

    Smithsonian Benefactor Cancels $38 Million Gift
    (she pretends that objections were political rather than principled)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23724-2002Feb4.html

    Past Talks Snarl Hughes-EchoStar
    ("approval to become a near-monopoly provider of satellite TV to US consumers")
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/699324.asp
    http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=26139093

    brief interview with the new CEO of Google
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/035/business/Eric_SchmidtP.shtml

    articles about the ethical use of e-mail for advertising
    http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/brs13/Marketing/E-mailMarketing.htm
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3098.txt
    http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/manage.html

    Army's Huge Distance-Education Effort Wins Many Supporters in Its First Year
    http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i22/22a03301.htm

    Telepresence Sparks a Virtual Revolution in Science Education and Research
    (yes, it's good work, but do we have to call everything a revolution?)
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/695357.asp

    International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors
    http://public.itrs.net/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/technology/04CHIP.html?pagewanted=print

    Ultra Wideband
    http://www.business2.com/webguide/0,,70465,00.html