[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 09:24:29 PST

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    war

    Bush is proposing to spend more on defense than the next 25 countries combined
    http://www.d-n-i.net/charts_data/25_power_standard.htm

    radio program discussing the "axis of evil"
    http://kcrw.com/cgi-bin/ram_wrap.cgi?/tp/tp020204Bush_Links_War_on_Te

    where suicide bombers come from
    http://www.newyorker.com/FACT/?020204fa_FACT

    The Sonic Memorial Project
    (search for audio artifacts from the World Trade Center towers)
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20020204.atc.06.ram
    http://www.picture-projects.com/sonicmemorial/

    jargon watch: "every multiculturalist is a recruiting officer for al-Qaeda"
    (this kind of vast, hyperbolic, primitive thought-form is now utterly routine)
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old§ion=current&issue=2002-02-02&id=1535

    Angered by Snubbing, Libya, China, Syria Form Axis of Just as Evil
    (I guess they all listen to Anthrax)
    http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/axis.shtml

    civil liberties and security

    "Trusted" Air Travelers Would Minimize Wait
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000009144feb05.story

    Air-Security Chief Doubts Value of ID Cards for "Trusted" Fliers
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29491-2002Feb5.html

    UK Move Towards Compulsory ID Cards
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_1802000/1802847.stm
    http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,645503,00.html

    circuit court decision upholding a right to refuse to identify oneself
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/9th/0016649p.pdf

    Online Voting Fraud Warning
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_1799000/1799883.stm

    Data Show Shoddy Due Process for Post-September 11th Immigration Detainees
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZZ3A29CXC

    A Security Net of Sawhorses and Soldiers
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000009358feb06.story

    Mexican article about the inquiry into the Tlatelolco Massacre
    http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2002/ene02/020131/057n1soc.php
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Tlatelolco+massacre

    the Bush scandals

    Bush and Ken Lay: Slip Slidin' Away
    (outline of their extensive long-term relationship)
    http://www.consortiumnews.com/2002/020602a1.html

    Less Than Zero: Enron's Income Tax Payments, 1996-2000
    http://www.ctj.org/html/enron.htm

    more on Bush and Cheney's constant misrepresentations on the Enron issue
    (here's how they think: "they lie so they're bad; we're good so we can lie")
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Ann%20Woolner&touch=1&s1=woolner&tp=ad_topright_bbco&T=markets_fgcgi_content99.ht&s2=ad_right1_bbco&bt=ad_bottom_bbco&s=APFoi6xaAQnVzaCBI
    http://www.nypress.com/15/6/news&columns/signorile.cfm

    Did Enron Steal From Employees?
    (Enron and the dot-com bubble continued the Reagan-era white-collar crime wave)
    http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,328170-412,00.shtml

    Enron Execs Sold Stock as Losses Grew
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000009360feb06.story

    Enron Liability May Depend on Memo
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/699890.asp

    What Should a CEO Expect from a Board? by Ken Lay, April 1999
    http://www.stthom.edu/cbes/conferences/kenneth_lay.html

    Enron's In-House Collapse
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZRGIPCCXC

    politics of Enron in India
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020218&c=1&s=roy

    Pension Fund Groups Urge Overhaul of Auditing Rules
    (pension funds would be central to a cooperative auditing system)
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ4EXDBCXC

    politics

    Bush Budget Trickery
    http://www.spinsanity.org/post.html?2002_02_03_archive.html#9412291

    "80% favor tax cut deferment over using Social Security for other programs"
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000009122feb05.story

    jargon watch: we've fallen so far, tax cut propaganda needn't be close to true
    (I'm actually pining for the relative intellectual honesty of the Reagan era)
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/h020502_1.shtml

    jargon watch: study the tricks in this really sophisticated letter
    (e.g. "name games" projection, "I never heard" though it's standard usage, etc)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-000008945feb05.story

    The Father of Spin: Edward L. Bernays and The Birth of PR
    (read it for yourself: PR began as a way to ensure control for a narrow few)
    http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1999Q2/bernays.html

    Documents from NAFTA's Secret Tribunals
    http://www.nsarchive.org/NSAEBB/NSAEBB65

    everything else

    Antitrust Group Targets Feds Over Microsoft Settlement
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ9M1YVAXC

    Global Crossing's chapter 11 petition
    http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/globalcrossing/glblx012802ch11pet.pdf

    The Role of Professional Learning Communities in International Education
    http://www.education.umn.edu/carei/Papers/JULYFINAL.pdf

    Physics Simulations Create Convincing Illusions in Films and Games
    http://www.sciencenews.org/20020126/bob10.asp

    Online Editors Scrutinize Admissions Essays of the Skittish -- for a Fee
    (I'm sympathetic: nobody explains the expectations for these essays)
    http://chronicle.com/free/2002/02/2002020602t.htm

    "a new used book database entirely owned by independent booksellers"
    http://www.TomFolio.com/

    end