[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 09:40:17 PST

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    war

    Al Qaeda's Grocery Lists and Manuals of Killing
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/17/international/asia/17DOCU.html?pagewanted=all

    Al-Qaeda Dead Have Vanished
    http://www.news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=288042002

    Official: Al-Qaida Moving Money Again
    (I'm curious how they could know all this and not know enough to nab them)
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20020316/pl/attacks_al_qaida_1.html

    "secret CIA project to investigate sending anthrax through the mail"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/newsnight/archive/newsid_1873000/1873368.stm

    US Official: Missile Test "Still Not Realistic"
    (they call it "success-oriented testing")
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/03/16/missile.defense.test/index.html

    Declare War Before Going to War
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0315/p11s01-coop.html

    In Last Piles of Rubble, Fresh Pangs of Loss
    ("I don't like it down here one bit")
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/17/nyregion/17SITE.html?pagewanted=print

    comment on museums' documentation of the September 11th attacks
    http://www.spiked-online.com/Printable/00000002D466.htm

    civil liberties and security

    Saudi Government Daily: Jews Use Teenagers' Blood for "Purim" Pastries
    (among other things -- scroll down)
    http://memri.org/news.html#1016041265c

    Billy Graham Responds to Lingering Anger Over 1972 Remarks on Jews
    (but saying "total liberal domination of the media", well, that's okay)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/17/politics/17GRAH.html?pagewanted=print

    the "Fightin' Whities" mascot
    (being a member of the majority, I can afford to find this funny)
    http://www.greeleytrib.com/story_photos/032002/0310fightingwhites.jpg
    http://www.cafepress.com/fightinwhite/

    but it's not nearly as offensive as the Cleveland Indians mascot
    (what would a really offensive "Fightin' Whities" mascot look like?)
    http://indians.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cle/homepage/cle_homepage.jsp
    http://mvp.sportsline.com/itmModelDetail.asp?s={B01C137C-F0F7-4374-B696-0917376CCEB6}&l=1&m=63868&sf=10&cnl=3&d=2875&c=2327

    US Using New Law on Secret Evidence
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0203150268mar15.story

    Bush Finally Sees Combat
    (why choose an exercise to break up a demonstration? the symbolism is ominous)
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020315/pl_nm/bush_dc_28

    Speeding Up the Checkout Line With Biometrics
    (I can't stand this use of "about": "It's about customer convenience and security")
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020313S0060

    Human Rights Bulletin System
    http://www.martus.org/
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-255522.html

    Experts Question "Trade-Offs" in US Security
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000019592mar17.story

    "alternatives to unsightly hunks of concrete to deter attacks on buildings"
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000019594mar17.story

    intellectual property

    Copy Controls: Fair Use or Foul Play?
    (to actually prevent copying, you'd have to outlaw the personal computer)

    DigitalConsumer Takes Up the Fight Against Copyright Plans in Congress
    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20020314.html

    The Myth of Private Ordering in Cyberspace
    http://www.law.upenn.edu/fac/pwagner/myth.pdf

    Shifting Regulation Toward Sustainable Commons and User Access
    http://www.law.indiana.edu/fclj/pubs/v52/no3/benkler1.pdf

    scandal

    bipartisan bewilderment at the return to monarchy
    (you heard it here first)
    http://robots.cnn.com/2002/US/03/15/bush.ap/

    Crony Capitalism Goes Global
    http://www.thenation.com/docPrint.mhtml?i=20020401&s=shorrock

    Andersen indictment
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/aandersen1.shtml

    the death penalty for Andersen would be an excellent precedent
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/2874439.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

    The Creative Destruction of Enron
    (few other countries would allow a company Enron's size to go under)
    http://www.ceip.org/files/Publications/2002-03-03-naim.asp?from=pubdate

    Action on Securities Sentencing Laws Gains Post-Enron
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ2ZNJIUYC

    everything else

    "the simple Internet architecture so hospitable to innovation is missing"
    http://www.satn.org/about/missinginternet.htm

    attack on 2.4GHz spectrum that would be a disaster for wireless networking
    http://www.internetnews.com/wireless/article/0,,10692_992321,00.html

    Google Hit By Link Bombers
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1868000/1868395.stm

    Kabul University Library Gets 20,000 US Books
    (they should set up a "wish list" on Amazon)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000019581mar17.story

    our health care system is insane
    http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35642-2002Mar15.html

    Biotechnology, New Media, and Citizenship, Ipswich, Australia, 15-17 July 2002
    http://www.uq.edu.au/gsm/biomediaindex.html

    criticism of NGO's because they have to simplify and can't do everything
    (where have you been? if you have a better plan, let's hear it!)
    http://66.113.195.237/issue_marapr_2002/bob.html

    Hans-Georg Gadamer
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,60-237416,00.html

    a cool live set of improvised electric jazz from Wayne Krantz
    http://www.waynekrantz.com/spring00.ram

    end