[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 22:28:01 PST

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    My last set of URL's included this:

      Saudi Government Daily: Jews Use Teenagers' Blood for "Purim" Pastries
      (among other things -- scroll down)
      http://memri.org/news.html#1016041265c

    In response, one distraught individual accused me of endorsing the
    Saudi claim.  In case anyone else is unclear on the concept, I realize
    that the Jews do not ritually kill children to use their blood in
    making bread.  I sent out the link because I found it noteworthy
    that (at least according to MEMRI) the Saudi press prints such things.
    I do try to annotate dubious links such as conspiracy sites that
    a rational person might mistakenly take seriously.  But I don't want
    to insult my readers' intelligence by warning them against ideas that
    are obviously insane.  Nobody who is inclined to believe such things
    is going to be dissuaded by any warnings from me.

    war

    Afghan Camps Turn Out Holy War Guerillas and Terrorists
    (lengthy survey of their curriculum -- not good)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/18/international/asia/18DOCU.html?pagewanted=print

    Old-Fashioned Hide-Outs Fuel High-Tech Weaponry
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000019557mar17.story

    Europe Takes War on Al Qaeda to Courtrooms
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000019552mar17.story

    Nature of Threat in Georgia Gorge a Matter of Dispute
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000020086mar19.story

    Stability, America's Enemy
    http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/Parameters/01winter/peters.htm

    Pipeline Politics Taint US War
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/oped/chi-0203180046mar18.story

    "... American troops, indefinitely, around both Afghanistan and Israel"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/20/opinion/20FRIE.html?pagewanted=print

    What Price Oslo? by Edward Said
    http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2002/577/op2.htm

    UN Information System on the Question of Palestine
    http://domino.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/

    FBI Agents Blamed for Delayed Files on McVeigh
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000020085mar19.story
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53187-2002Mar19.html

    Epidemic of Terror Beatings in Ulster
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Northern_Ireland/Story/0,2763,669809,00.html

    cluster-bombing of civilians in Colombia
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000019553mar17.story

    tourist and dining guide to Ground Zero
    http://www.latimes.com/travel/printedition/la-000019443mar17.story
    http://www.latimes.com/travel/printedition/la-000019442mar17.story

    civil liberties and security

    Can Free Speech Undermine Freedom?
    http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5268
    http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2002/03/19/dissent/print.html

    How the War on Terrorism Affects the Public's Right to Know
    http://www.rcfp.org/news/documents/Homefront_Confidential.pdf

    Bush-Senate Fight Brews Over Extent of US Secrecy
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=chi%2D0203180174mar18

    Internal Security Is Attracting a Crowd of Arms Contractors
    ("network-centric warfare" means pervasive surveillance woven into daily life)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/20/business/20ARMS.html?pagewanted=all

    article on GPS and highway privacy
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/077/business/Moving_violations+.shtml
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/077/business/Finding_a_wealth_of_uses_for_Global_Positioning_System+.shtml

    As Stoplight Cameras Spread, Drivers See Red
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0319/p01s02-ussc.html

    EBay to Drop Proposed Privacy Change
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52061-2002Mar19.html

    but from what I can tell, they've only dropped the worst of the outrages
    http://www.junkbusters.com/new.html#ebay

    FTC Anti-Telemarketer List Would Face Heavy Demand
    (the list in Missouri now includes half the state's population)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47200-2002Mar18.html

    Illinois Gets Set to Test the Future of Voting
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=chi%2D0203170138mar17

    hosts in Korea and China are most commonly used in security attacks
    (some of them are also indifferent to their gigantic spam problems)
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-862936.html

    how to hack your cable modem
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/175201.html

    Despite New Tools, Detecting Nuclear Material Is Doubtful
    (we knew the stuff was dangerous but we spread it around anyway)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/18/national/18DETE.html

    Radioactive Devices Left by Soviets Could Attract Terrorists
    ("... except when the odd lumberjack turned up with severe radiation burns")
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42294-2002Mar17.html

    politics

    aggressive accounting on health care too
    (the US is undergoing a political revolution hidden beneath fuzzy math ...)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/19/opinion/19KRUG.html?pagewanted=print

    Redefining "Balanced Budget"
    (... and distortions of language)
    http://www.spinsanity.org/post.html?2002_03_10_archive.html#75017303

    Campaign Finance Information Center
    http://www.campaignfinance.org/

    annals of the servile press
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/h031802_1.shtml

    technology

    Recent Changes in the Architectural Principles of the Internet
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-arch-changes-00.txt

    Global Terabit Research Network
    http://www.indiana.edu/~gtrn/
    http://www.npaci.edu/online/v6.5/ww.ngi.html

    Creating Standards for Smart Objects
    http://www.autoidcenter.org/

    Computational Challenges in the Post-Genomic Age, Durham, 11-13 March 2002
    http://www.npaci.edu/online/v6.5/comp.chal.html

    International Supercomputer Conference, Heidelberg, 19-22 June 2002
    http://www.supercomp.de/

    everything else

    Banks Tangled in Fall of Enron
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/2887459.htm

    SEC Had Sought $500 Million in Failed Talks With Andersen
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/20/business/20AUDI.html?pagewanted=all

    Ruling in Microsoft Lawsuit Cracks Windows Trademarks
    (it was a common term before they used it)
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/175264.html
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-862516.html

    A Lemon Law for Software?
    http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=1020715

    materials from the ICANN meeting in Accra
    http://does-not-exist.org/icann-log.html
    http://www.lextext.com/icann/
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/03/19/auerbach/print.html
    http://www.pfir.org/statements/icann

    The Emergence of the Posthuman Consumer
    http://www.crito.uci.edu/noah/paper/Posthuman8_v2.pdf

    European Distance Education Network, Granada, Spain, 16-19 June 2002
    http://www.eden.bme.hu/contents/conferences/annual/Granada/granada0.html

    Internet and Society, Brussels, 26-28 March 2002
    http://www.is2020.be/

    Worst Manual Contest
    http://www.tecstandards.com/Contest_Information/contest_information.html

    Antarctic Ice Shelf Collapses