[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 08:09:41 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    Pick Hit: Tidiane et les Dieuf Dieul, Salimata

    war

    European media credulity toward Jenin massacre claims
    (which unfortunately distracted them from more substantiated war crime claims)
    http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20052002-032952-3644r

    interesting discussion of the events leading up to September 11th
    (requires subscription)
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/05/23/warning/print.html
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000036701may24.story
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/24/national/24INQU.html

    Newspaper: Echelon Gave Authorities Warning of Attacks
    (I have no idea -- does anyone have a URL for the original FAZ article?)
    http://www.newsbytes.com/cgi-bin/udt/im.display.printable?client.id=newsbytes&story.id=170072

    conservatives who support Israel in order to provoke Armageddon
    (requires subscription)
    http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2002/05/24/dispensational/print.html

    review of an HBO film about September 11th this Sunday
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/24/arts/television/24TVWK.html

    civil liberties and security

    Patterns of Global Terrorism
    http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/pgtrpt/

    Designated Foreign Terrorist Organization List
    http://www.fbi.gov/terrorinfo/ftolist.htm

    details on the INS "watch list" for terrorists etc
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000036434may23.story

    Biodefense Resource Center
    http://www.msms.org/biodefense/

    "prototype for the next-generation emergency department"
    http://er1.com/

    Taking DNA by Stealth "Should Be Outlawed"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/genes/article/0,2763,719807,00.html

    new online privacy law in Minnesota
    http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/getbill.pl?session=ls82&version=latest&number=SF2908&session_number=0&session_year=

    letter against a proposal for routine data retention for surveillance in Europe
    http://www.stop1984.com/index2.php?lang=en&text=letter.txt

    Privacy in the Electronic Society, Washington, 21 November 2002
    http://seclab.dti.unimi.it/~wpes/

    Biometric Sensors Beaten Senseless in Tests
    ("more of the nature of toys than of serious security measures")

    Bush's strictures on Cuba were excellent
    (let's apply them to everyone, starting with ourselves)
    http://www.sltrib.com/2002/May/05202002/commenta/738348.htm

    Pro-Palestinian Class Proposal Under Review
    (left-wing pinheads oblivious to the outside world)
    http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8687

    jargon watch: spinning questions as disloyalty is authoritarian culture
    (and the spin repeated by pundits and politicians until it becomes reality)
    http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20020518.html

    politics

    an example of the most ancient argument of anti-democratic elites
    (it's pure, refined conservatism)
    http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg052202.asp

    they're nominating judges out of the 19th century
    (they rationalize injustice by harping on the supposed extremism of others)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/22/opinion/22WED1.html

    what's Orwellian is not the vocabulary change, but pretending it's not a change
    (the public opposes privatization, vouchers, etc, so get new words!)
    http://www.thenewrepublic.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020527&s=notebook052702rose

    "an unprecedented contempt for international rules"
    (they figure, "hey, we're the only superpower -- we're gonna do what we want")
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/24/opinion/24KRUG.html

    corruption

    Merrill Lynch to Pay $100 Million to Settle Analyst Charges
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/21/business/21CND-MERRILL.html
    http://news.findlaw.com/nytimes/docs/merrilllynch/nymerrill52102agr.pdf

    aggressive accounting at Halliburton under Cheney
    (I don't have to tell you who their auditor was)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/22/business/22HALL.html

    The Failure of the Prosecutors in the Andersen Case
    http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5676

    "report suspicious activities or transactions involving Enron"
    http://www.cftc.gov/enf/enron/enfenrondefault.htm

    Senate subpoena for White House contacts with Enron
    http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/enron/sgacom52202subwh.pdf

    news from planet Microsoft

    Ending Microsoft FUD: An Interview with Peruvian Congressman Villanueva
    (who wrote the celebrated anti-Microsoft tract mentioned here earlier)
    http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-05-20-006-26-IN-LF-PB

    Microsoft Lobbies Hard Against Free Software at Pentagon
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A60050-2002May22?language=printer

    what Microsoft dreams about
    ("create the largest and most leveragable database of profiles on the planet")
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/legal/apr02/04-22ntranscriptam.asp

    serious security bug in Microsoft's debugger
    (what clowns)

    analysis of the Code Red Microsoft worms and what to do about them
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/cdc.web/

    everything else

    The Handbook of New Media
    (with sample chapters)
    http://www.sagepub.co.uk/shopping/Detail.asp?id=9523

    new rules for electronic banking
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2002_register&docid=02-12333-filed

    peculiar search engine
    http://kartoo.com/

    video proceedings of a conference about standards
    http://www.siit2001.org/movies/

    National Ice Center
    http://www.natice.noaa.gov/home.htm

    Global Environmental Outlook
    http://www.unep.org/GEO/geo3/index.htm

    rebuttal to the unpopular "Spurious Foundation of Genetic Engineering" article
    (I have no opinion)
    http://reason.com/rb/rb013002.shtml

    end