an detailed explaination why land attack works?

From: Feiyi Wang (fwang2at_private)
Date: Sat Nov 29 1997 - 13:17:21 PST

    Hi, there

    Can anyone give a detailed explaination about why land attack works on
    some TCP/IP stack (say BSD-derived)? Which loop is trapped in by this
    "self-connect" request? What's the state transition internally? I can't
    figure it out.

    A related question is I can't use tcpdump get any output from the victim
    machine, once it is received the "self-connect" request, it freeze, not
    even a ACK packet. (I am trying it on FreeBSD 2.2.5)

    Any information is appreciated.

    /Feiyi