Linux inetd..

From: moOd (moodat_private)
Date: Sun Nov 30 1997 - 05:19:50 PST

      I've found that inetd on (*atleast*) Debian distribution of LiNUX crashes
      when port 13 (daytime) / port 37 (time) is "half-open scanned"..

      Half-open scanning means that you:

        1) send SYN
        2) if reply is SYN|ACK, send RST  = port is listening
        3) if reply is RST                = port is not listening

      I'm not skilled enough to write the code-piece for you to test this out,
      but most of the new portscanner include this type of scanning method.
      (scantcp 1.32, sirc, etc.)

    Quick & dirty workaround:

      Comment out daytime & time services from /etc/inetd.conf and restart inetd.

    - -------

      / moOd [@invalid.org]