Re: To kill a sun:

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 21:13:29 PST

    At 03:48 PM 12/13/97 -0500, Jason Zapman II wrote:
    >This is sunkill.c
    >
    >It Affects at least solaris 2.5.1 machines, both sun4c and sun4m
    >achitecutures.  I imagine it affects all solaris 2.5.1 machines, both sparc
    >and x86, but im not sure.  It basically works by opening a telnet
    >connection on the victim machine and sends a few bad telnet negotiation
    >options, then flooods the port with lots of ^D characters.  This uses all
    >the streams memory (i think) on the victims machine and causes the kernel
    >to get very angry.  The machien crawls to a halt, the cursor in X stops
    >moving, the machine is unresponsive to the network.  Its a bad situation
    >all around.

    In testing against Linux 2.0.29, it appears to cause the load average to
    slowly rise.  It has been running for a couple of minutes, and the host
    seems to be tolerating it OK, but it does seem a little annoyed.  Nothing
    like what you report vs. Solaris.  The Linux box shows no signs of
    terminating the connection, though - IMHO, that is a bad thing.

    How long does it have to run vs. Solaris to cause mayhem?  Has anyone else
    found any other OS's vulnerable?

    David LeBlanc           |Why would you want to have your desktop user,
    dleblancat_private |your mere mortals, messing around with a 32-bit