Re: To kill a sun:

From: James Lockwood (jamesat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 14 1997 - 00:33:44 PST

    On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Jason Zapman II wrote:

    > This is sunkill.c
    >
    > It Affects at least solaris 2.5.1 machines, both sun4c and sun4m
    > achitecutures.  I imagine it affects all solaris 2.5.1 machines, both sparc
    > and x86, but im not sure.  It basically works by opening a telnet

    I just tested this on a Solaris 2.6 sun4c machine (an old SS1+ I use as a
    PPP server), and it seems to hang the machine for about 30-45 seconds, and
    then it recovers.  Tried hammering it a number of times, but I couldn't
    reproduce a total lock-up.

    It looks like Solaris 2.6 isn't vulnerable to this attack from a crashing
    standpoint, but it's quite effective as a denial of service attack.  I'll
    try it on some fully patched 2.4 and 2.5 machines on monday.

    -James

    James D. Lockwood                             The Getty Information Institute
    System Administrator                       1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 300
    jamesat_private                                Los Angeles, CA 90049-1680