Re: Gzip & segmentation faults

From: J.A. Gutierrez (spdat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 26 1997 - 08:21:39 PST

    > Under NT, it just throws an exception.  Probably is exploitable if you
    > dinked with it enough.  Instruction well in the executable's range
    > references memory at 0x1.
    >
    > >MS-DOS gzip screws-up totally.

            With your altered.gz
            MD5 (altered.gz) = bd5fc9d6973a308f13dfe5de54d28e02

            HPUX 68k => loops forever
            HPUX B.10.20 => loops forever
            SunOS 4.1.x => segmentation fault
            Solaris 2.x => segmentation fault
            Solaris x86 2.x => segmentation fault
            MkLinux 2.0.30-osfmach3 PPC => segmentation fault
            Linux  2.0.30 #2 i586 => segmentation fault
            MacOS 8.0 68k => loops forever

            MacOS 8.0 PPC => invalid compressed data--format violated
            (I'd be even hapier if I knew why it doesn't crash...)

    --
        J.A. Gutierrez                                   So be easy and free
                                                when you're drinking with me