Re: Linux inode.i_count overflow

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 13:25:32 PST

    >   Warning: This program will cause unpredictable behavior of the whole
    >   system!!!
    >
    >   While killing this program kernel will print many messages:
    >VFS: iput: trying to free free inode

    I think the main error here is the way Linux handles this particular
    condition.

    Since the kernel has encountered an error conditions which indicates
    an error it cannot recover from it should panic.

    It should not continue, as that makes matters worse (making a denial
    of service attack into a data corruption/security problem)

    You should always check for errors, but you must make sure you handle them
    properly.

    Casper