IIS/ASP bugs

From: Dave Edis (daveat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 14:24:04 PST

    I tryed the following and the server stopped resoponding
    on ieak.microsoft.com:

    http://ieak.microsoft.com/ASPSamp/Samples/code.asp?source=/ASPSamp///////Samples/hello.asp

    * replace //////// with a few hundred forward slashes

    Looks like any IIS server with ASPSamp directory installed is
    vulnerable..
    (or ASPs that take file paths as input)

    And something else... I notice handler mapped file extensions
    reveal system file paths for web directories..
    ie: try (.idq, .idc, .stm, .pl, .cgi) depending on what is mapped.

    example : http://www.microsoft.com/badidea.stm

    Returns "Error processing SSI file 'd:\http\badidea.stm'"

    Dave Edis                                       http://www.edis.org/