Re: DoS attack: apache (& other) .htaccess Authentication

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 01:00:06 PST

    >perhaps you should stat the file and make sure its a normal file?
    >There may be other device files which cause problems by virtue
    >of having lots of data, or by blocking for long periods of time.
    >For example a blocking read on a dialup device that waits for
    >carrier sense on a modem.  Is there any reason to allow device
    >files to be read from the config?

    Open the file non blocking and then fstat() it will do away with the
    race condition.  (Some devices block on open, like dial-in ports)

    >This may not stop all possible attacks.  Normal files might be
    >used to indefinitely block the daemon.  For example some systems
    >allow regular users to make NFS mounts.  In this case an NFS
    >server can be brought up, mounted, then brought down.  The
    >httpd reading an nfs mounted file would then block for a long
    >period of time while NFS times out.  The same result can be
    >achieved by performing a denial of service attack against an already
    >existing NFS mount.

    Or if you use a default /net automount on Solaris, just open

    "/net/far-a-field"

    Seems like a problem that's hard to generally fix, other than making
    sure noone gets to write .htaccess files.

    >Are there other ways to cause long blocking times when reading
    >normal files?  Do any common unix systems have mandatory file locking?

    Yep, that's a way too; most SVR4 derived systems have it, I think.
    Solaris certainly has it.

    Casper