Re: Quake 2 Linux

From: Greg Alexander (galexandat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 20:26:53 PST

    On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 kevingeoat_private wrote:

    > Vulnerable:
    > Anyone who made Quake2 setuid root in order to use the svgalib software refresh.
    >
    > Solution:
    > chmod u-s quake2, and use ref_softx instead of ref_soft.
    > If you prefer console-based video, you could get GGI
    > (http://synergy.caltech.edu/~ggi/), and use KGI with the SVGAlib wrapper
    > (I haven't tried this).

    This is not the proper solution at all.  The proper solution is:
    create a group for trusted people (call it trusted, or console, or
    whatever)
    chown root.trusted quake2
    chmod 4750 quake2

            quake2 is not usable in a window.  It is much more proper to limit
    the game to trusted people than to (essentially) remove it entirely.

            There is a much more important quake2 hole.  ref_gl.so requires
    quake2 to be suid root (in order to initialize the 3dfx hardware), but it
    /never/ gives up root, so network-related segfaults would allow remote
    exploits of your machine.  There are three solutions here:
            - make a wrapper library for one of the relevant libraries
    (libMesaGL, libvga, anything) to give up root at some appropriate time (what
    a hack).
            - fix libMesaGL (because this is a generic problem with all
    Mesa-based 3dfx apps) to give up root immediately after initializing the
    card.
            - beg for David "Zoid" Kirsch (zoidat_private, his boss is
    johncat_private) to become security-concious.  (for reference, the
    original svgalib port of quake he was provided with was as secure as svgalib
    games get, then he intentionally moved the vga_init call to a place after
    many files are opened "so I don't get newbies complaining that they can't
    open /dev/mouse.")

            /NEVER/ install any game ported by David Kirsch or David Taylor in a
    public setuid manner on a machine used by untrusted people.  The probability
    is well over 95% that root will not be given up until after almost all files
    have been opened.

    Greg Alexander - also <gralexanat_private> - http://sietch.home.ml.org/
    ----
    "In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with
    reality at any point."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche