Re: Simple OpenBSD crash script

From: GvS One (gvsat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 00:23:41 PST

    _\|/_

    On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Jason Downs wrote:

    >Here is a rather simple method of crashing most OpenBSD systems (and, I
    >assume, NetBSD or anything else running 4.4BSD vm without this problem fixed).

    Hmm.. on my P200MMX RAM 32 running FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE with kernel
    options CHILD_MAX=128, OPEN_MAX=128, DFLDSIZ=(16*1024*1024) the
    execution of that script caused to "too many open files" at the user
    level and "can't open /usr/lib/libc.so" or some similar library at the
    system level (no logins, no execs and so on). Once the console
    received such message it hangs forever, and I couldn't switch to it
    anymore. But kernel did not panic and opened files still were
    available, as open network connections too (rlogins). Failed to stop
    this process, even when I pressed ^C at the console running that
    script, I used Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot, and the filesystems were
    synchronized before reboot. After reboot I got the message
    `date` newsyslog[$PID]: log file turned over
    in /var/log/messages. Bad, bad condition.

    Any ideas to decrease user level privileges to keep system level
    resources still available under this attack?

    >Most, if not all, kernels have process limits high enough for a normal
    >user to run the kernel out of non-pageable map entries.  The easiest way
    >that I have found to do this is with the enclosed script.
    >
    >If the per-user process/descriptor limits are high enough, running this script
    >will result in a kernel panic.

    [skip]

    SY, Seva Gluschenko, just stranger at the Road.

    --- IRC: erra
     * Origin: gone to the Internet (gvsat_private) [http://www.agmar.ru/~gvs/]