Re: imapd/ipop3d coredump - the patch.

From: Michael Douglass (mikedougat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 09:42:31 PST

    On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 09:45:38AM +0200, raf@licj..... (Bugtraq Mirror) said:

    > -  if (!(pw && pw->pw_uid)) return NIL;

    > +  if (!(pw)) return NIL;
    > +  if (!(pw->pw_uid)) return NIL;

    > ... why do we need "optimisations" when authentificating users ???? :)
    > and btw: in original version root was still able to log in...

    You are very incorrect here.  Both your version and the original
    version do the exact same thing:  If pw = valid_addr && pw->pw_uid
    = 0 then it would return NIL; which would deny root.

    However, the _readable_ way to write this would be:

    if( !pw || !pw->pw_uid ) return NIL;

    This stops if pw is not valid or if pw->pw_uid is 0.  This is exactly
    the same as the frist statement since:

    ...only much more readable.

    --
    Michael Douglass
    Texas Networking, Inc.

    <tnet admin> anyway, I'm off, perl code is making me [a] crosseyed toady