Re: strcpy versus strncpy

From: Chris L. Mason (cmasonat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 08:14:16 PST

    On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 01:31:24AM +0100, Morten Welinder wrote:
    > A recent article on BugTraq suggested that using strcpy should
    > almost always be considered a bug.  That's not right.  It is,
    > in fact, the wrong way around: strncpy is almost always a bug.

    Hi,

    What's wrong with using the following (I got the idea from some of
    Stevens' code)?

    char *sstrcpy(char *dst, size_t n, const char *src) {
        if (strlen(src) > (n - 1)) {
            errno = ENOSPC;
            return NULL;
        }

        strcpy(dst, src);
        dst[n - 1] = '\0';

        return dst;
    }

    (the first 's' stands for safe (I hope))
    It's not MT safe, but other than that I can't see any problems.

    Chris