Re: Update on wide-spread NewTear Denial of Service attacks

From: Tim Newsham (newshamat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 12:00:03 PST

    [...]

    > unpatched systems would blue screen. However, these replayed attacks had
    > no effect on fully patched Windows NT 4.0 SP3 systems (all hotfixes). The
    > primary fix that is important here is the "NewTear/Bonk/Boink" update that
    > was released in January.

    It's too bad that microsoft recommends against applying these patches:

      Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 4.0.
      A supported fix is now available, but has not been fully regression-tested
      and should be applied only to systems experiencing this specific problem.
      Unless you are severely impacted by this specific problem, Microsoft
      recommends that you wait for the next Service Pack that contains this fix.
      Contact Microsoft Technical Support for more information.

    It really bothers me that microsoft takes such a stance on what
    are obviously very important security fixes.  If microsoft wants
    to market their system as a secure system, and if that system is
    only secure against current attacks if all hotfixes and service
    packs are installed, then microsoft should fully support those
    hotfixes and service packs.  Microsoft should fully regression
    test the hotfixes and should recommend that everyone installs them.
    I suspect this is a contributing factor to the rash of attacks
    that are being seen.  I wonder how many admins did not update their
    systems with the recent fixes after reading the recommendation in
    the hotfix text.

    And of course if you choose to report a problem to microsoft the
    first question they ask is "do you have all the service packs and
    hotfixes installed?".  Microsoft can't have their cake and eat it
    too.

    > Jason Garms
    > Product Manager
    > Windows NT Security