Update on wide-spread NewTear Denial of Service attacks

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 08:37:55 PST

    -----Original Message-----
    From:   Jason Garms
    Sent:   Wednesday, March 04, 1998 12:53 AM
    To:     'ntbugtraqat_private'
    Subject:        Update on wide-spread NewTear Denial of Service attacks

    First, many thanks to the many organizations that assisted today in
    gathering information on the rash of denial of service attacks that have
    hit a number of sites on the Internet in the last 24-48 hours. Three
    important organizations for overall coordination have been CIAC, CERT and
    NTBUGTRAQ. That's in addition to the numerous customers who provided
    assistance. Thank you.

    We've gotten network traces for in-process attacks, as well as NT crash
    dumps from machines that were attacked. These files came from a number of
    different customers who were affected by these denial of service attacks
    over the last 24 to 48 hours. We've carefully reviewed the network traces,
    and analyzed the crash dumps, and I'd like to share what we found.

    The network sniffs all indicated a two-packet sequence using UDP
    fragmentation to exploit a known vulnerability in unpatched Windows 95 and
    Windows NT TCP/IP stacks. The traces all indicate the now infamous "DNS"
    packet, which has little significance as an actual DNS packet except that
    it uses the DNS port address. It's really the setup packet for the
    fragmentation attack. The second packet, which is a malformed UDP packet
    by many regards, completes the attack and places the unpatched TCP/IP
    stack in a unstable state. The DNS port may have been chosen because many
    sites do not filter it on their firewalls or routers. However, this is not
    a DNS issue in any way, since the corruption is cause in the TCP/IP stack
    by the UDP assembly.

    We replayed these packets against unpatched Windows NT and Windows 95
    machines and got the same results as have been reported on in various
    forums-mostly blue screens. However, there have been reports of machines
    that would simply reboot without first blue screening. We were able to
    duplicate that scenario on Windows NT 4.0 systems running only SP1. Other
    unpatched systems would blue screen. However, these replayed attacks had
    no effect on fully patched Windows NT 4.0 SP3 systems (all hotfixes). The
    primary fix that is important here is the "NewTear/Bonk/Boink" update that
    was released in January.

    We also reviewed the crash dumps from a number of different sources. None
    of these affected machine had the NewTear/Bonk/Boink patch installed.
    Analysis of the dump indicated that the cause of failure in all cases was
    symptomatic of the corruption caused by fragmented UDP packets, which was
    addressed by the NewTear/Bonk/Boink update. Most sites we were in contact
    with that were the subject of repeated attacks were no longer affected
    after installing the update.

    We have had no reports of fully patched systems being affected by this
    rash of attacks.

    We have posted some information on http://www.microsoft.com/security on
    this rash of attacks. From everything we've been able to determine,
    applying this update is critical to preventing this problem. The
    information this issue at http://www.microsoft.com/security has links to
    the NewTear/Bonk/Boink hotfix.

    This hotfix is available for Windows NT 4.0 SP3, Windows NT 3.51 SP5,
    Windows 95 Winsock 1.x and Windows 95 Winsock 2.x systems. (Note that the
    version for Windows 95 depends on the Winsock version. Last week we
    released a complete refresh of the Windows 95 Winsock 2 stack, which
    includes the NewTear fix. This information is referenced from the NewTear
    information on http://www.microsoft.com/security)

    Thanks,
    -JasonG

    Jason Garms