Plaintext passwords in Chase Online Banking

From: dorqus maximus (dorqusat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 07 1998 - 23:15:57 PST

    I discovered a large security flaw in the Chase Online Banking software.
    (version 3.00, 11/14/97)

    When you install the software, you can select an offline password to run
    the program, so that unauthorized people cannot look at your balances,
    number of accounts, etc. (The software allows you to work offline, then
    connect via modem when you want to initiate transfers, etc.)

    Chase does not even encrypt the offline password, but rather leaves it
    in plain text.

    For each user that uses the software, there is a directory created with that
    username under the main directory (i.e. C:\Chase\USERNAME).

    If you have local access to a persons PC who has this software installed
    on their computer, you can get their offline password (which odds are is
    their online password is well)

    Here's how to do it.

    CD C:\WINDOWS (or wherever windows is installed on the machine)
    EDIT COB.INI, and look for the following section (the file is pretty
    small)

    [User List]
    User1=USERNAME
    User1DataPath=C:\Chase\USERNAME\
    User1CustID=593845860683304858
    LastUser=USERNAME

    next,
    CD C:\Chase\USERNAME
    EDIT BANKSYS.DAT and look for the User1CustID string (593845860683304858
    in this case), the word right next to it is the users offline password.

    you can now run C:\Chase\cob.exe, and login as the user using their
    offline password.  There's a good chance that the offline password is
    the same as their online password.  Once you are connected, you can
    make see their current balance information, make transfers, even make
    payments.

    I have not yet brought this to the attention of Chase, as I figured
    I'd post it here first, then let them know that I have publicly disclosed
    this information, so it will be in their best interest to fix it.

    Dorqus Maximus