Re: Plaintext passwords in Chase Online Banking

From: dorqus maximus (dorqusat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 08 1998 - 11:16:14 PST

    This is the text of an email that I sent to Chase Customer Service with
    regards to this problem:

     Date: 3/8/98
     Subject: Security flaw in the software

     Hi.  I have discovered that the users offline password is kept in plain
     text in a file on the PC.  This is pretty bad, as I am sure that a lot of
     times the users offline password is the same as their online password, so
     all someone needs to get access to someone elses accounts is a few
     minutes alone wiht someone's PC who has the software on it.  It is a trivial
     matter to get the plaintext offline password, and it requires no special
     tools or programs.  I have exact details on how to do this, and I have
     already posted the directions to a full-disclosure security list.

     Please let me know what you are planning to do about this, as this is
     obviously a major problem.  If the PC side of the software is insecure,
     how can I be guaranteed that the server side is secure as well?

    We'll see what reply I get from them (if any)

    Dorqus Maximus