Re: RAS 'save password' problems...

From: Noam Ben-Yochanan (noamat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 22 1998 - 08:11:50 PST

    > Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:09:44 -0800
    > From: martin Dolphin <mdolphinat_private>
    > To: NTBUGTRAQat_private
    > Subject: RAS 'save password' problems...
    >
    > THE PROBLEM:
    > Windows NT allows users to save their RAS credentials by using the 'Save
    > Password' checkbox when making a dial-up connection. Credentials saved in
    > this manner are stored in the
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\RasCredentials!SID#0 registry
    > key.  These credentials can be enumerated using the LSA secrets code.  (As
    > identified by Paul Ashton in a prior submission to NTBugtraq)

      I've written code using the RasGetEntryDialParams() function. Here's
    Microsoft's description of this function:

    ---begin description---
    The RasGetEntryDialParams function retrieves the connection information
    saved by the last successful call to the RasDial or
    RasSetEntryDialParams function for a specified phone-book entry.
    ---end description---

      Another function which is supposed to supersede this function is
    RasGetCredentials(). Here's the description for this function:

    ---begin description---
    The RasGetCredentials function retrieves the user credentials associated
    with a specified RAS phone-book entry.
    ---end description---

      In both cases the clear-text password is a field in the retrieved
    record. No need to access the regitry, no need to use the LSA secrets
    code. I think Microsoft thought they should provide such a feature for
    purposes of automatic dialup connections - to avoid the need for user
    input. This might sound a bit funny, but if the password isn't saved, a
    human has to enter it manualy, but a program can just use one of the
    aformentioned functions. Microsoft seemingly makes a distinction between
    the privilages of a user and those of a program (i.e. programmer).

    Noam Ben-Yochanan
    noamat_private