Re: apache+ssl 1.13 symlink problem

From: Ben Laurie (benat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 10:57:51 PST

    Ondrej Suchy wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > Sorry if this was already mentioned, but ...
    >
    > Apache SSL server has similar symlink problem as updatedb (and thousands
    >
    > of others programs).
    > I don't know about the other versions, but at least ssl 1.13 patch for
    > apache 1.2.5 contains following line in default configuration:
    >   SSLLogFile   /tmp/ssl.log
    > which makes httpsd log it's activity to that file. Any file can be
    > linked to /tmp/ssl.log and httpsd will happily append something like
    > "CIPHER is blah-blah" to it.
    > I could not make it to root access, but I can't say it's impossible.
    > (Maybe through .rhosts?)
    >
    > Note that this problem is not affected by setting the User and Group
    > directives in the configuration to nobody or other unprivileged user,
    > since httpd often starts as root, writes to log files and THEN changes
    > its uid.
    >
    > (There is probably the same problem with /tmp/ssldebug log file, I
    > didn't test it.)

    The /tmp/ssldebug file is not created if you use an up-to-date version
    of SSLeay (i.e. v 0.8.x). However, as a precaution, I will comment it
    out for future versions.

    /tmp/ssl.log may be a risk - I will document it as such for future
    versions, but I'd note that the example config (which is _not_ a default
    config) will not generally work on any system except mine, so this
    directive would only be included in a real config if included by the
    sysadmin.

    Thanks for the report. It would've been courteous to let me do something
    about it before posting to a public forum, though.

    Cheers,

    Ben.

    and Technical Director|Email: benat_private |