apache+ssl 1.13 symlink problem

From: Ondrej Suchy (ondrejat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 09:43:21 PST

    Hi all.
    Sorry if this was already mentioned, but ...

    Apache SSL server has similar symlink problem as updatedb (and thousands

    of others programs).
    I don't know about the other versions, but at least ssl 1.13 patch for
    apache 1.2.5 contains following line in default configuration:
      SSLLogFile   /tmp/ssl.log
    which makes httpsd log it's activity to that file. Any file can be
    linked to /tmp/ssl.log and httpsd will happily append something like
    "CIPHER is blah-blah" to it.
    I could not make it to root access, but I can't say it's impossible.
    (Maybe through .rhosts?)

    Note that this problem is not affected by setting the User and Group
    directives in the configuration to nobody or other unprivileged user,
    since httpd often starts as root, writes to log files and THEN changes
    its uid.

    (There is probably the same problem with /tmp/ssldebug log file, I
    didn't test it.)

    Regards

        Ondrej

    Ondrej Suchy